How do you play?

Non-technical talk about multiplayer and singleplayer gameplay and game design.
FrikaC
Site Admin

How do you play?

Post by FrikaC »

Engine? Replacement Textures? Replacement models? Watervis? RTLights? Lit files? Replacement graphics?

What do you normally use?

Personally I just use straightup Darkplaces, no replacements, not even watervis.
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Fitzquake with pak2.pak (that gamma thingie), transparent water pak3.pak

If I play QW it's all weird and crazy.
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

Darkplaces
rtlights on ocassion, if the map has them and someone specifically tells me it looks really cool in that scene.
No watervis stuff, no gamma stuff.
I have the QRP pack installed, but I dont use it in my average play, only to just see how something looks with them turned on.

I do however use Morphed's monster skin pack...

When I play NQ or QW it looks the same as when I play singleplayer cause I use DarkPlaces for all. I like my Quake to be consistent =)

The only time I wont use DP is if I get an odd error with an sp map (item clipping with a wall), then I use FitzQuake as it is the next best engine in my opinion.
ajay

Post by ajay »

For a long time it was TomazQuake, with maybe lit files too, for everything... Now it's Darkplaces, fairly plain for now, but I'm starting to get to grips with it, and will be using replacement textures and the like soon, partly to get used to using them in regard of my modding, but also 'cos I realise i'm only scratching dp's surface.

*I guess I should also say that as I'm usually on my ageing laptop these days, I'm often either playing quake.exe or winquake.exe.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

I just use DarkPlaces with no addons but the ogg'd soundtrack. Nothing else. Real time lighting, and all that special shiz is disabled.

(I used to use my pk3 of hi-res quake sounds but I dunno where that is now)
i should not be here
SkinnedAlive

Post by SkinnedAlive »

Used to use Telejano because I liked the rocket trails then I switched to Darkplaces for some reason or other. Now I can't stand Telejano.

I play with watervis too, wateralpha at about 0.6. I'd use rtlights and bloom if my rig could take the strain.
HeadThump

Post by HeadThump »

WinQuake or toChris for all older mods (Zerstörer, BBelief, etc.), for larger projects that you you would expect some gray flash in a software renderer, DarkPlaces, no customs except for that which comes in a mod.
Lardarse

Post by Lardarse »

DarkPlaces running at 1024x768x32x75

World RTlights off, dynaminc ones on. .lit files only for maps that came with them.

Original models textures and sounds, except for a custom conchars.

Transparent water on (typicaly 0.3 or 0.4)

Bloom on, HDR bloom off, lerp on, stainmaps on.
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

Plain DP, plain id1
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.
Quake Matt

Post by Quake Matt »

Yeah, pretty much vanilla DP for me too. Apart from stainmaps and bloom, it looks and feels pretty close to the good ol' days!

Although, I did see a texture pack (preview?) during QExpo that tickled my fancy...
Entar

Post by Entar »

I generally use Vr2, but when I actually want to play a good game of Quake for a while, I generally turn on DarkPlaces, with dpmod (rtlights are included, I have those on). I have some new textures (Starbuck's new ones) in my id1/textures dir.
ajay

Post by ajay »

I've now changed a little. I'm still using Darkplaces, but now with rtlights world on, hdr bloom on, @1440x900 widescreen mode with the texture set released at qexpo and morphed's monster skins.
Well on my more able pc I am, anyway. On my other pc, I use DP with not much fancy turned on, normal tetxures and skins, @ 1152x864. On my laptop, I use quake.exe (1.08) @512x384, with winmem at 16mb.
You know, they're all still fun. I would like to get Lunkin's Journey running on my laptop, but nevermind. I've enjoyed watching QDQ, it's a shame the Nehahra movie doesn't work on it either, I might finally watch all of it.
spamalam

Post by spamalam »

Darkplaces, only to test mods i'm making really these days.
neg!ke

Post by neg!ke »

fitzquake.
sometimes aguirRe's glquake and darkplaces. classic engines only briefly for assuring compatibility.
no fancy stuff (like watervis, gamma (bleh!), models/textures/skins,etc).
Trinca

Post by Trinca »

i play with almost engines :) depend of map and mod

fuhquake
ezquake
fteqw
joequake
qrack
darkplaces
glquake and winquake(at work only) - aguires versions