Playing without a mouse

Non-technical talk about multiplayer and singleplayer gameplay and game design.

Do you Quake mouse-less?

Poll ended at Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:14 pm

No
64%
Keyboard only
14%
Touchscreen only
No votes
Keyboard and touchpad or touchscreen
No votes
Game controller
14%
Trackball or other non-mouse accessory
7%

Total votes: 14

qbism

Playing without a mouse

Post by qbism »

Does anyone regularly play Quake (or other FPS) with keyboard only?
Maybe even one-handed? A related question, does anyone play on a device without a keyboard, like a touchscreen?

What kinds of binds or settings do you use?

Besides auto-aim, what kind of "helpers" in the engine or in qc would help mouse-less play?

Quake has been ported to wide variety of platforms. Looking at the growth of mobile devices, phones, pads, and netbooks, it's just the tip of the iceberg.
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

Keyboarder here.

w - Jump
as - strafe left / right
d - secondary (or primary if theres no altfire)
f - Primary fire

numpad - movement / turn / lookup / lookdown

Touchpad / mouse only when playing games that have headshot sniping, or when I have time to do long range shots.

Pissed me off to no end that Unreal 2 didn't give you the ability to bind turning / looking from the menu...
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

I used keyboard only for about 2 years starting in 1996, due to it being the first game where you really want to use the mouse. Doom1/2 didn't really need it, neither did duke. Hell, did anyone really need to look up or down in either? Then I discovered the wonders of mouse look. God, it's never been the same.
Lardarse

Post by Lardarse »

I think LordHavoc plays using gamepad sometimes. I know that Polarite (QuakeOne regular, runs a few servers in Europe) used to, not sure if he still does.
Roaming status: Testing and documentation
qbism

Post by qbism »

Dr. Shadowborg wrote:Keyboarder here.

w - Jump
as - strafe left / right
d - secondary (or primary if theres no altfire)
f - Primary fire

numpad - movement / turn / lookup / lookdown
Hadn't thought of the numpad. Some of these little laptop/netbook keyboards without a numpad could be bound with a similar cluster of keys on the right side.

Thinking of those little slide-out keyboards on phones or PDAs, seems like thumbs could move quickly. Although it feels like some phones lag a bit on keyboard input.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Lardarse wrote:I think LordHavoc plays using gamepad sometimes. I know that Polarite (QuakeOne regular, runs a few servers in Europe) used to, not sure if he still does.
I used to play with arrows + mouse, later I changed to numpad + mouse (the extra keys for non-Quake things like reload, crouch, etc).
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
mankrip

Post by mankrip »

I've beaten Quake (the whole game) for the first time on my Dreamcast, using the DC's controller. It was really fun, specially with the controller vibration, which can't be had with a mouse/keyboard combo.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
daemonicky

Post by daemonicky »

Quake, pfff. Working in Windows without mouse can be a huge pain and therefore a challenge. :) For example Firefox with keyboard only is masochistic experience of clicking tab key to get to a link/textarea/button.

Speaking of challenge, I once played Tomb Raider trying not to kill anyone. I almost finished 2nd level. Does anyone played Quake or some other shooter this way :?: There will be problems doing so, because sometimes a path is locked until You kill all monsters ... I also played Thief The Dark Project this way. :-D
Think, touch, movetype, solid, traceline ...