Weapon feedback

Non-technical talk about multiplayer and singleplayer gameplay and game design.
leileilol

Weapon feedback

Post by leileilol »

Weapon feedback is as important as the gameplay that the weapons work in, IMO. If you shoot something unsatisfying, then what is the point?

Oddly a game as visceral as Painkiller have the wimpiest guns i've ever used in a FPS game. Unreal's weapons were wimpy as well, even UT2003-2004 is bad at it. The Halo games (and I mean ALL OF THEM) have terrible feedback for weapons too

okay, long thread made simple, post your favorite badass fps shotguns, sniper rifles and machineguns.
i should not be here
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

condemned 2 : bloodshot - fists (mainly the entire melee system)
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

For me, weapon feedback includes: the sound, the animation, the viewangle recoil, and possibly the spread pattern and the impact/pain sounds/animations when you hit someone.

Doom2 ssg is the best, of course. Or at least that's what I've always said. Nowadays I don't enjoy it quite as much as I used to. It still has a siiick sound though.

The worst is Serious Sam's sniper rifle. Okay fine, I'll explain why. It has no recoil, you just click and it plays a sound, but there's no movement. (I KNOW!!!!) All the guns in that game suck, and they look worse (UT2k3 and UT3 picked up on that crap design style). Except maybe the giant cannonball gun, that was cool.

Quake2's normal shotgun was pretty good, when used against basic soldier types anyway. Good sound and animation for both the gun and the guards. Though I hate how laggy the Quake2 guns' triggers are. (The rocket launcher is TERRIBLE!) I liked the Q2 machinegun to a mild degree, though the recoil was a bit much.

People complained about the guns in Q3 (e.g. the shotgun) but I don't mind them. Maybe I'm numb to it so many years later.

The pistol in Wolf3D and Blake Stone is the most fun to use in those games. Something about the way it's held in both hands. It's cool to run down hallways shooting at guards with that thing. Using the machinegun or especially chaingun is kind of boring.

Final Quake: Real's shotgun was pretty fun, hehe.

Sorry I haven't played much of newer games. Still, I feel like I'm forgetting some significant ones. I've played a number of fringe fpses from the 90s that I can't seem to remember at all. Delta Force, Blood 2, things like that. Oh well. Also, there's a "private" Quake mod that existed between me and scar3crow a few years ago that had some very nice guns...
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

too bad its private
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

In terms of mods, perquake's got everyone beat.
i should not be here
Biodude

Post by Biodude »

The Bastard AR in metro 2033 is so satisfying to shoot. I kept the silenced one the entire game.
qbism

Post by qbism »

leileilol wrote:In terms of mods, perquake's got everyone beat.
Haven't tried it, I'll bite. Found here http://www.gamers.org/pub/idgames2/quak ... s/perq.zip
Irritant

Post by Irritant »

Boy it's hard to remember...

Really liked the Doom2 SSG.

The Q1 rocket launcher was awesomesauce...

Loved the Q3 shotgun.

Did not like the Q3 hyperblaster or rocket launcher sounds.

Q2's railgun was my favorite for quite some time.

I like Doom3's chaingun and rocket launcher, and most of those weapons in general. I liked Q4's quite a bit less.

Most of the UT2k3/2k4 weapons were weak, mostly in their sounds, but the UT3 weapons are a bit more satisfying in most every way.

I also seem to recall liking the Blake Stone weapons, but it's been well, almost 20 years since I played that...so maybe it's the "ran faster as a boy" syndrome.
http://red.planetarena.org - Alien Arena and the CRX engine
Downsider

Post by Downsider »

Completely agree about Wolf3D's pistol being incredibly satisfying.

In fact, I find most weapons in those sprite-based games very satisfying, especially the shotgun in Doom. The death animations with sprites are the ticket, I think.
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

Irritant wrote:Did not like the Q3 hyperblaster or rocket launcher sounds.
Q2 you mean?

I love Q1's and Q3's rocketlaunchers, especially the way they bounce others around, and the model, sound, refire rate, projectile speed and so on is usually perfect. (UT's rocketlauncher, on the other hand...)
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

I really like:

Doom: Shotgun
Quake: Grenade Launcher, Super Nailgun.

Doom 3 weapons felt extremely weak. Sounds were bad and feedback so-so. Shotgun on zombies was ok, but the shotgun model looks like a random blob.

Q3 Shotgun has a lovely sound.

The AWP in Counter-Strike (I can only judge 1.5) is very well done. Hard loud sound, great recoil.

UT is very bad in terms of feedback. Serious Sam is weird. Sauerbraten, oh, I am sad every time it is not different from the previous version.
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

leileilol wrote:In terms of mods, perquake's got everyone beat.
:cry:

The Shotgun and chainsaws in PerQuake were pretty good, though most everything else wasn't all that impressive. (Glares at the chaingun not being as badass as it looked, and the pipebomb pales compared to Duke3D's)

My own mod aside, things that come to mind that I liked:
Doom 2: Super Shotgun
HACX: TEH UZI. That thing was absolutely badass. Well, that and the Cryogun. :twisted:
Duke Nukem 3D: Microwave Expander and RPG.
Shadow Warrior: Just about anything except shuriken and railgun.
ROTT: Firebomb and Firewall.
SiN: Shotgun was cool.
Half-Life: Only liked the MP5 / M16(HiDef Pack) and the new stuff from OpForce.
Unreal 2: I've yet to actually get around to playing the whole game (railshooter fatigue, vidcard issues with some maps causing crash, lack of time, etc.), but most of the guns in that game I've seen so far seem pretty good IMO...
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

Haha, it looks like I'm not the only one stuck in the 90s.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Dr. Shadowborg wrote:but most of the guns in that game I've seen so far seem pretty good IMO...
Except for the Crowdpleaser, even if that had cruel incendiary shells. The shock lance (popular among ut2004 to COPY AND PASTE with as the 'definitive' unreal weapon *sigh*) is also very weak and overflashy

Even some sci-fi games can have great 'conventional weapon' feedback. In terms of shotguns i've always been fond of Klingon Honor Guard's, especially the awesome (for the time (1998)) reload animation (oh the OBSCURITY!).

Star Wars Republic Commando also had a nice shotgun that lets sparks loose from the top of the gun when you cock it which gives it a goody feeling.
i should not be here
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Doom/Doom2: SSG, hands down.

Quake: Perforator, specially when quad-powered. :twisted:

Duke Nukem 3D: the Devastator is pretty cool, I specially like how the Super Duper Quake version brings the same sensation of destruction.

Like many of the people here, I'm pretty much stuck in the 90's. :)

But actually TF2 has some cool weapons (all the heavy's miniguns variations and the sniper rifle comes to my mind as good examples).
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)