Two interesting articles

Non-technical talk about multiplayer and singleplayer gameplay and game design.
frag.machine

Two interesting articles

Post by frag.machine »

I was scavenging thru Blue's News when stumbled on these and I thought would worth to forward to here:

10 Stale Ideas Holding Back Gaming

10 Fresh Ideas Saving Gaming

To be honest I don't agree with everything (used games resell fueling piracy ? c'mon...) but I think there are some really valid points there.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
dreadlorde

Post by dreadlorde »

Good articles. Thanks for the links.
Ken Thompson wrote:One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code.
Get off my lawn!
leileilol

Re: Two interesting articles

Post by leileilol »

IGN wrote:Graphical Minimalism
Lol I remember in the late '90s, anything that didn't exploit the power of a TNT or a Voodoo2, not even in the slightest - was absolutely LOATHED. This is one thing that will flip-flop a lot. If you sell Mega Man 9 in 1998, it'll be called "one of the worst games in history of gaming"

I disagree with the rest of the '10 things saving gaming' article.
i should not be here
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

1. He doesn't seem to know what cloud computing is. Cloud computing would be where you run even single player games from a remote server of N cpus. Players would only need an inexpensive computer fast enough to run the client (possibly even a dumb client if network is fast enough). Like Google Docs and whatnot applied to games. I don't look forward to it, but it seems inevitable. (And I don't use AJAX "applications" either... I like my data in my own room.)

What he refers to as "cloud computing" is just data gathering, and apparently making that data automatically change the difficulty of the game. YEESH! Sin Episodes x 10. (Bad!)

2. Not in my games! Maybe in your casual "YouTube" games like LittleBigPlanet, but I hate it when social networking infects things it shouldn't.

4. Hmm. The author seems to have an agenda in pushing those awful indie games which use pixel art and chiptunes only because the authors are too stupid or lazy to make a real effort or else too unskilled (and which are usually made in GameMaker). I for one never want to play another indie sidescroller with stylized art, physics-based gameplay, and no level design. (And have you seen the so-called "ambient" games? Don't get me started!)

6. Easy for you to say, naive author. I personally think an AAA title can be made for 10% of the budget if the studio wasn't run by retards (and the workers were competent) and the design was pared down to avoid retarded cutscenes.

8. I, being a fan of Super Metroid, recently played "Other M", and it was honestly the worst game I've ever seen. Much worse than HL2, for example. It was like every principle on my personal "bad" list exaggerated to an apocalyptic extent, and nothing from the good list. I came in faintly hopeful, and was left only reaffirmed in my unhealthy cynicism.
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Sajt wrote:4. Hmm. The author seems to have an agenda in pushing those awful indie games which use pixel art and chiptunes only because the authors are too stupid or lazy to make a real effort or else too unskilled (and which are usually made in GameMaker). I for one never want to play another indie sidescroller with stylized art, physics-based gameplay, and no level design. (And have you seen the so-called "ambient" games? Don't get me started!)
It's Cave Story's fault. Since its release (well, since its translation more likely) it spawned a bunch of GameMaker/MMF-reliant Pixel-wannabes and circlejerk communities praising them like they're true art when it's just closet obsession of Pixel himself (and being Japanese only fuels the otaku even more). With that in mind it's just too bad the games aren't anywhere as fun as Cave Story.

Pretty funny when indie games, where experimental gameplay often has its only place just relies on a novelty graphic style instead to get major attention and often have basic gameplay with a gimmick (i'm looking at you Braid). The last 'indie' game to have impressed me is still Treadmarks
i should not be here
JasonX

Post by JasonX »

leileilol wrote:Pretty funny when indie games, where experimental gameplay often has its only place just relies on a novelty graphic style instead to get major attention and often have basic gameplay with a gimmick (i'm looking at you Braid). The last 'indie' game to have impressed me is still Treadmarks
So true! And Braid is not even creative... Prince of Persia: Sands Of Time had the same mechanic before it, it was applied differently only. There are many other indie games with "innovative" gameplay that was already done before. They're just being trendy. =P