Do people still play NetQuake?

Non-technical talk about multiplayer and singleplayer gameplay and game design.
Downsider

Do people still play NetQuake?

Post by Downsider »

Personally, I find the lack of movement prediction absolutely intolerable.

Just wondering who here feels the same way.
Spike

Post by Spike »

some people prefer that they can see where they really are, rather than where their client thinks they are. It provides a more consistant (and usually smoother) game.
Most recent games add a nice chunk of latency in the form of interpolation anyway, so if you are playing on a lan, its not really that different.
The pain only really comes from 200+ ms latencies common to home connections and international (or inter-state) gaming. At which point I personally much prefer interpolation.
But with only 50ms latency, the smoother gameplay of netquake as opposed to quakeworld is often more desirable.

I see no problem with netquake on a network, just not between networks (ie: internet).
Team Xlink

Post by Team Xlink »

I find nothing wrong with playing NetQuake on the internet.
Downsider

Post by Downsider »

Spike wrote:some people prefer that they can see where they really are, rather than where their client thinks they are. It provides a more consistant (and usually smoother) game.
Most recent games add a nice chunk of latency in the form of interpolation anyway, so if you are playing on a lan, its not really that different.
The pain only really comes from 200+ ms latencies common to home connections and international (or inter-state) gaming. At which point I personally much prefer interpolation.
But with only 50ms latency, the smoother gameplay of netquake as opposed to quakeworld is often more desirable.

I see no problem with netquake on a network, just not between networks (ie: internet).
Really, though, anything except playing on a LAN network or with relatively nearby players is undesireable, as every single Quake server I try nets me a ~100 - 150 ping, and it's quite disorienting, and whenever I turn a corner I find my heart pounding with anticipation of falling off.

To be honest, I can't feel comfortable taking the opinion from a lot of the forumgoers here, mainly because a lot of you are still living in the 90's, and will blindly honor Quake as the greatest FPS of all time, hehe.
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

I play Quake. Sometimes the server uses the earlier protocol, sometimes it uses the QW protocol, sometimes it uses a DP or FTE protocol.

I avoid playing on servers where I consistently get a three digit ping if I can help it. QW as a choice mattered to me when I had a 28.8, however now it is just another protocol, and I am thankful DarkPlaces supports it, as that allows me to Just Play The Game, by loading up DarkPlaces as I would for singleplayer, and simply joining a server.

The irony of citing a previous decade while indicating that your internet connection isn't up to the task of multiplayer gaming beyond the form adapted for dialup users did not escape me. I honor Quake for its quality, not out of a lack of contemporary conscientiousness.
...and all around me was the chaos of battle and the reek of running blood.... and for the first time in my life I knew true happiness.
mh

Post by mh »

It wouldn't surprise me at all if the majority of people who still play Quake don't even bother with multiplayer (or at least online multiplayer, LANs are different) so prediction, lag, etc become purely academic.

I know for a fact that my own engine averages 400 downloads per month; now I'm willing to bet that of those 400 maybe 50 or so are actually active in the Inside3D/QuakeOne communities. Who are the rest and what do they do? Don't know.
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
Downsider

Post by Downsider »

Thanks for the opinions. I personally can't stand turning a corner without the prediction, I feel so slippery, but whatever. Guess I'm just not used to it like you guys are; I think any multiplayer game I've played in the past 10 years (Pretty much my entire lifespan) had movement prediction.

I had assumed there was a reason why NetQuake was released; why Quake 2 and 3, any later revision had it, but I guess not ;)
scar3crow wrote:The irony of citing a previous decade while indicating that your internet connection isn't up to the task of multiplayer gaming beyond the form adapted for dialup users did not escape me. I honor Quake for its quality, not out of a lack of contemporary conscientiousness.
Dunno, I've got 20 MBits down 4 MBits up; I'd call that "modern".
MeTcHsteekle

Post by MeTcHsteekle »

i don't like the prediction because i get this jittering thing going where i bounce between two points and end at a third. This is vary disorientating to be because its like im concentrating on a colored strobe light with sound if im picking up an item.(this happens in Quake World and Quake Live)

but without the prediction its alright, and if im lagging i find the rhythm of the lag for when it slows down or skips (7 seconds skip repeat, 5 seconds -3 seconds slow- repeat) the only time i have to be worried is when the wireless router is on the fritz giving me 500~ ping, and i commonly play in Europe with 120 ping
bah
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

Re: Do people still play NetQuake?

Yes... what else would I play? You don't need "movement prediction" to kill monsters.
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

i play netquake well lets say i would if there were more people playing. i dont like qw...
Baker

Re: Do people still play NetQuake?

Post by Baker »

Downsider wrote:Personally, I find the lack of movement prediction absolutely intolerable.

Just wondering who here feels the same way.
I don't see ping in scoreboard as a feature in the Kurok PSP engine and imagine it isn't in any of them. It is easy to rip from ProQuake and at least players will know whether or not they have an unbearably bad ping.

It does help greatly to know your ping.

Ping of 40 or under in NetQuake is great, 70 or under is ok (you get used to it). 100 or higher is unbearably bad.

That being said, the NetQuake progs compatible ZQuake Quakeworld engine should be the engine that gets ported to all of these platforms, it is the best of both worlds in the sense it can run most QuakeC mods and yet benefit from prediction.

And the engine isn't radically complicated aside from the operating system specific network code that every system has to do deal with, so in theory you'd think it wouldn't be that more difficult to port than GLQuake.

Maybe I'm wrong ..
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

400 or higher is unbearably bad.
Fixed that for you, 350 or lower is certainly adaptable if you're not playing with people who rely on physics exploits, but rather get into the grit of Quake deathmatch.
...and all around me was the chaos of battle and the reek of running blood.... and for the first time in my life I knew true happiness.
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

No way. Maybe if everyone is having such ping but if you are alone with that in a competitive game, how can that be fun?
Even coop would feel incredibly stupid that way.
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
Downsider

Post by Downsider »

scar3crow wrote:
400 or higher is unbearably bad.
Fixed that for you, 350 or lower is certainly adaptable if you're not playing with people who rely on physics exploits, but rather get into the grit of Quake deathmatch.
Are you on drugs? That's almost half a second from when you push a button to seeing the onscreen action :?

That's insanely disorienting!

Go grab a CoD4 player and stick him in NetQuake with a ping of 150. He'll say fuck this within 20 seconds.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

I used to play with 250-400 ms pings in my good ol' times of 33.6Kbps modem. A 100 ms ping was a bless then. I got so used that even nowadays I feel comfortable to play TF2 with 150-250 ms ping.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)