Do people still play NetQuake?

Non-technical talk about multiplayer and singleplayer gameplay and game design.
Downsider

Post by Downsider »

That's because TF2 has movement prediction and interpolation :P
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Sure. But a 350ms ping was not problem to me in NetQuake - as long, of course, I wasn't the only one with this latency.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

Go grab a CoD4 player and stick him in NetQuake with a ping of 150. He'll say fuck this within 20 seconds.
I've played plenty of CoD4, he'll say fuck you at the notion of playing something without high damage fully automatic hitscans and low spray penalties.

However no, I am not insane, ping is not a problem if you are remotely adaptive, packet loss is the problem - having activities not register at all. Sure it is disorienting, if you aren't expecting it, and don't adapt.
Maybe if everyone is having such ping but if you are alone with that in a competitive game, how can that be fun?
I wouldn't play in a 'competitive' game without a good ping, but I don't look to competitive matches for fun, and if you aren't playing with the sort who time every single thing, but rather do play Quake for entertainment, the difference is not that disparaging.
Even coop would feel incredibly stupid that way.
Coop feels far more stupid in a bad game with a good ping, or with bad players. Coop is doable at an even higher ping - monsters move and aim slow.
...and all around me was the chaos of battle and the reek of running blood.... and for the first time in my life I knew true happiness.