"Pro" (mis) Features

Non-technical talk about multiplayer and singleplayer gameplay and game design.
SusanMDK

Post by SusanMDK »

MauveBib wrote:WW2. bunnyhopping?
I once read a short story about it. In the story there was this guy who just get out of some trench, ran and jumped around and he wasn't hit ever and he did that everyday. Then someone else tries it and gets shot immediately.

It was in a collection of weird/scary short stories book.
zbang!
LordHavoc

Post by LordHavoc »

MauveBib wrote:Supa: For you to jump in and immediately label it as a bad idea to remove "pro tricks" when you don't know the detail of his game is pretty silly.
My understanding is that Supa is purely taking offense to the thread title that describes pro features as misfeatures, the meaning of which is reliant on a supposed division in the community to be interpreted.
SusanMDK

Post by SusanMDK »

Ahaa, well, I just didn't know any other words to describe them.. that's why there are these " " around the word pro and ( ) around the mis.
zbang!
Wazat

Post by Wazat »

Supa wrote: I really, really do not want to see such a caustic us versus them, amateurs vs pros attitude take hold in i3d. It has already ruined Nexuiz for me and I certainly do not want to see it ruin i3d as well. Should that happen I will no longer have a reason to participate in Quake development. I really hope it doesn't, because I happen to like this place.
Understood. I apologize for being offensive on my end. I do think your opinions are valid. Just remember that other people's are valid too. We modders are trying to make new games with different play styles, and sometimes it's hard to discuss such things in the open because wars start over misunderstandings or strong opinions.

What this thread's original intent boils down to is this:
1) He's making a new game with the quake engine. It's not necessarily going to resemble Quake gameplay.
2) There are certain quirks in the engine & qc code that cause problems for the type of game he's trying to create. These include bunnyhopping, rocket jumping, and others.
3) Despite some of these features being important to pro players in Quake, he wants to remove them from his game because they're not appropriate for what he's trying to create.

If we can keep that in mind during the discussion and show respect on both sides, then that keeps things fairly amicable and productive, and keeps the thread on track.
When my computer inevitably explodes and kills me, my cat inherits everything I own. He may be the only one capable of continuing my work.