Your favorite grappling hook

Non-technical talk about multiplayer and singleplayer gameplay and game design.

What's your favorite kind of grappling hook?

Impulse/alias-fired seperately, immediate pull, no swing
28%
MORNING STAR CHUCKIN CLASSIC HOOK
33%
Harpoon gun (Pain Keep)
17%
Impulse/alias-fired seperately, manual pull, swing
22%

Total votes: 18

leileilol

Your favorite grappling hook

Post by leileilol »

VOTE !
i should not be here
Lardarse

Post by Lardarse »

I assume that the first and forth are for "onhand grapple", meaning that you can't use it and a weapon at the same time...
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

oh my god offhand grappling hooks are soooo much fun
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

They're fun, but unless you check them some in the game mode logic, whatever you have will quickly devolve into just racing... This is why I often don't play CTF with offhand grappling hooks. I like grappling hooks for their added z-axis gameplay, and allowing defenders, and infiltrators, to get more creative with their positioning - not so much for the speed aspect.
...and all around me was the chaos of battle and the reek of running blood.... and for the first time in my life I knew true happiness.
Irritant

Post by Irritant »

Yeah, onhand ftw :)
http://red.planetarena.org - Alien Arena and the CRX engine
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

Remake Quake's.

Offhand hook (tied to a pickup item), immediate pull (accelerating/decelerating), swing, dangling, mwheel reeling, safety dropping (impact damage...) and only allowed on mapper-placed grapple points (think Tomb Raider). On death, you lose the grapple and it can be found in the backpack.

A single grapple point allows several moves, combined with air control and acceleration, you can trickgrapple around two corners and onto a walkway etc while reaching speeds of over 1000 ups. A map will typically have between one and six grapple points which is totally enough. Singleplayer will have more than DM (for example DM6RQ only has a single grapple point near the RA which is enough to add several new moves).

Due to the grapple point system, it can and is being used in singleplayer for all kinds of weird stuff. Grappling monsters is fun, too, especially underwater so it lets you close the distance quickly (before the bastards have a chance to drown or escape). In a game where half your weapons don't work while submerged, this can come in handy.

The last word in grappling I hope. And the final argument to get a multi-button mouse for singleplayer.

;-)
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

I voted painkeep harpoon gun because it struck me as being most unique of the listed options.

In general though, unless it's CTF I find grapples / harpoons to be a pain in the ass and rather gamebreaking, which is why hellsmash only has the super jump ability.
MeTcHsteekle

Post by MeTcHsteekle »

whoa, a four-way tie
bah
r00k

Post by r00k »

Since I have played ctf weekly since 1998, I have noticed a difference from ticrates and broadband, and how it relates to the morningstar hook.
The default values for our servers are:
Hook Fire Speed: 1100
Hook Pull Speed: 800
Hook release delay: time+ticrate (how fast the hook is cancelled in flight from the time u let off the fire button. In original 3wave code the hook wasnt cancelled until it hit an object.)

Hook return Rate: 100ms (how fast until your next Attack is available.)
Cobalt

Post by Cobalt »

Same goes for me. I'm for a modified 'ziod' hook code from CTF that keeps things real, mostly the speed at which you are pulled. Not that Quake is real life, but it appears the Quake guy has most of the physics unto himself like we do on our world, and we cant pull ourselves faster by hand than we can walk, at least not for much a long time if some of us can....you'd need great upper body strength, like being able to do continuos chin ups without much tiring. Now, RUNES like HASTE or STRENGTH in CTF could enhance your abilities, and my Mod, Tekbotctf+ does give the guy quite a fast hook with the haste rune.

Recently I was considering the factors left out of the original game, such as the guy never falls down - EVER. There are no models you can use to show him fallen down, or sitting. There is also no 'sprint' key like in the Quake 3 mods where you hold down the shift key and you can use your stamina level to run fast for short to medium distances. I was thinking of making a modification to my mod and try to do this in a crude-basic way, so it would make things a bit more realistic. We could also reduce stamina each time the hook is used, because physicly jumping, running and flying about would exhaust a mere mortal at some point. I was also considering how that when he picks up weapons, and ammo, he never weighs more than he originally did. We could say that the weapon he uses is a multi-faceted all purpose type, which the model clearly uses probably to save resources etc - but for a fully packed Quake guy holding all that ammo to never move any slower is odd. All the other ID games before it never considered any of this either.

scar3crow wrote:They're fun, but unless you check them some in the game mode logic, whatever you have will quickly devolve into just racing... This is why I often don't play CTF with offhand grappling hooks. I like grappling hooks for their added z-axis gameplay, and allowing defenders, and infiltrators, to get more creative with their positioning - not so much for the speed aspect.
Wazat

Post by Wazat »

The big problem with weighing down the player with his items is in Quake you don't have the ability to off-load weapons and ammo or otherwise manage your speed. Thus, picking up that cool new weapon or getting more ammo will often hurt the player more than help him.

The games that do slow down the player invariably do it only (and/or list below):
A) When the player has the ability to throw away items and/or choose to not pick them up; often, as with D&D-based games, Fallout3, etc, you don't slow down gradually, you just slow down if you hit the hard limit of your maximum carrying capacity. This makes it a lot easier for the player to manage his item burden.
B) The player only gets slowed down by the weapon he's currently holding (ala counterstrike, fallout3, and many other games; Edit: also the armor he wears etc.). This way picking up a new weapon doesn't carry an instant punishment in movespeed for the player. It's only when he wields the weapon that it can slow him down, and he can put it away when he needs faster movement.

Mitigating the negative downsides of a weight-slowness feature is crucial. It's far, far better to be wholly unrealistic than realistic and unfun. I've played mods that kept slowing me down every time I picked something up, and it wasn't a cool feature. However, when properly implemented, weight management can add a very interesting dynamic to the game that gives greater dimension to resource management and challenges the player -- in a good way.
When my computer inevitably explodes and kills me, my cat inherits everything I own. He may be the only one capable of continuing my work.
SusanMDK

Post by SusanMDK »

I've done some weight thing for my old Doomsday mod and it worked just fine, because you were able to throw away stuff you didn't need. Ammo didn't add into weight, maybe that might have been a bit complicated at that time, but that doesn't mean it couldn't have worked... I think I will have stuff like that in my Darkplaces mod too...

If I was going to make a grappling hook, I'd probably go for the simplest solution... or as complex/realistic that I'm able to do...
zbang!