War game idea

Non-technical talk about multiplayer and singleplayer gameplay and game design.
pitchatan

Post by pitchatan »

Was actually thinking something in the lines of a Post apocalyptic civil war ... or something :P

still working on the details. ;D
Downsider

Post by Downsider »

This would never work in Quake, at least with 6000 players. Netcode would have to be rewritten in it's entirety and you'd need a kickass server.
pitchatan

Post by pitchatan »

Downsider wrote:This would never work in Quake, at least with 6000 players. Netcode would have to be rewritten in it's entirety and you'd need a kickass server.

Like i have mentioned i have been speaking to LordHavoc the coder of the darkplaces engine about optimizing pretty much everything, alltough nothing has happened yet im sure things could get alot better.

What i would do is pretty much port most of the stuff to the client side and have alot of the prediction be done the client.

But what do i know, im not a coder. ;)
Downsider

Post by Downsider »

There's a reason why MMORPGs with 6000 players don't have realtime combat, it's too much trouble for the servers, expensive, and hard to get the clients working reliably without taking too much away from the experience.
pitchatan

Post by pitchatan »

Downsider wrote:There's a reason why MMORPGs with 6000 players don't have realtime combat, it's too much trouble for the servers, expensive, and hard to get the clients working reliably without taking too much away from the experience.
The reason being latencys, atleast on fps kind of games.

If you have ever playd say counter-strike or call of duty with 150-250+ pings you understand what i mean. :)

Another issue would be inventorys and such, if taking information from a sql database or something i could see that being very very slow.
Probably why most of the games (wow,eve online) etc use seperated servers for alot of things.

Mabey make a feature request for lordhavoc hehe, clustered servers! ;D
Urre

Post by Urre »

It's disturbing how pretty much every one misunderstood the thread. Maybe I misnamed it?
I was once a Quake modder
pitchatan

Post by pitchatan »

Urre wrote:It's disturbing how pretty much every one misunderstood the thread. Maybe I misnamed it?
No missunderstandings, alltough i think my imagination got ahead of me a bit. :)
Supa

Post by Supa »

Urre wrote:It's disturbing how pretty much every one misunderstood the thread. Maybe I misnamed it?
It happens. Sorry that I forgot to make a post in this. :|

Regarding your original idea;
The idea was to affect gameplay in an indirect way, something which has nothing to do with the current match, to see if something like that can affect the way people play their game even if it isn't affecting them directly.
Now that I've gave the issue more thought, don't you think you'd be working against the strengths of such a statistics system by counting down lives? Since your idea is to not tie a player to a faction but at the same time make them aware of that faction's overall loss record, why not instead track local wins and remind the player of each team's statistics on a map?

You could do things like remind players at the start of a map that 'In the past thirty days, Red has only won 33% of games on this map' or 'Blue has picked up 230 Red Armours this month, beating Red's previous record of 220'. Trying to impose a global countdown round format when players don't have a binding attachment to a faction is too susceptible to griefing as has been mentioned earlier in this thread. So I think that by flipping the mechanic around from a negative reinforcement do-or-die countdown into a positive reinforcement statistics gatherer would do well, at least to see just how attached a player can be to something with no real game impact.
Urre

Post by Urre »

Awesome insight Supa. Love it. But I'd like to see a mixture of both, how the downside of a lower amount of global lives affects the player and their commitment, or the higher amount doing the same, as well as local "wins" so to speak, which might even serve as a purpose of increasing the global lives counter. Which'd make it all the more interesting. Awesome!
Team Xlink

Post by Team Xlink »

Well, I messed with the idea bit and think it would be possible.

Even 250 vs 250 players would be an awesome thing to try.

I think it is possible.
Urre

Post by Urre »

It seems Valve are doing exactly this with their current class-war thing going on. Go Valve!
Team Xlink

Post by Team Xlink »

Well, I have decided I am going to try and do this.

Anyone want to help?
Urre

Post by Urre »

I usually don't bitch about things like this, but seeing as your idea is a different thing entirely, why not start a new thread?