Generic Perks DM Mod

Non-technical talk about multiplayer and singleplayer gameplay and game design.
Electro

Post by Electro »

Wazat: just reverse rj out of the lava in dm4
Benjamin Darling
http://www.bendarling.net/

Reflex - In development competitive arena fps combining modern tech with the speed, precision and freedom of 90's shooters.
http://www.reflexfps.net/
Wazat

Post by Wazat »

You guys must be better players than me. I don't always have a rocket launcher, and if I've just been knocked into the lava by someone's rocket I don't really have all that much health (after the rocket and lava have had their way with me) to rj out... let alone much time.

In that sense, I think I'm kind of in the wrong thread. This is a mod designed for the very elite players who know all the tricks, can time every powerup respawn down to the nano second, can land a direct hit with a rocket with even the worst lag, and so on. I wouldn't stand a chance in one of your games. :)
When my computer inevitably explodes and kills me, my cat inherits everything I own. He may be the only one capable of continuing my work.
Supa

Post by Supa »

scar3crow wrote:Armor has changed, now they all have a base value of 100, and a base protection of 10% to all attacks. Touching an armor will switch out your current armor for what is in the level. Armor respawn times are now 10 seconds to prevent a player from just removing all armor pickups from the map.
* Green - 66% reduced damage from shells, nails, and ax.
* Yellow - 66% reduced damage from lightning.
* Red - 66% reduced damage from rockets and grenades.
One thing you really would need to implement if you do this is a 'wrong damage type' feedback effect for when an attacker uses the wrong weapon against a target. It wouldn't have to be much, just a simple armour-coloured particle effect at the target's origin would do.

scar3crow wrote:Ax behavior has changed, it now takes into account attacker speed and victim speed, giving a damage bonus for the acceleration forces against the ax.
I'm *always* in favor of anything that increases the viability of melee in Quake. :) Have you ever considered adding a second +attack command dedicated to an offhand ax attack? Being able to quickly hack a target to bits without switching to the ax would be handy when you run into a target not wearing green armour. :)

scar3crow wrote:1. Equalizer - You receive normal damage from quad damage attacks.
I really like this one just because it's so easy to acquire. I could easily see players in a team game taking this one and playing a 'quad hunter' role. Again it'd be really nice to give a special feedback effect when a quaded attack hits a player with this, just so the quad wielder knows when to run away. :)

scar3crow wrote:2. Adrenaline - More than 10% of current health in damage taken, will roll for a 66% chance of an adrenaline boost, giving a 10% boost in player speed, and a 10 second long 5 health per second regeneration rate.
This is a bit extreme. Consider how it'll take at most 11 damage (assuming a starting health of 100hp) to activate it and you could easily recieve up to 50hp from it. What if you just regenerated half of all damage taken 5s after taking damage? Meaning that if an attack hit you for 36 damage, you'd regenerate 18hp after 5s elapses. If you take more damage before the regeneration started, the damage would be added to amount to regenerate and the timer would be reset.
aut viam inveniam aut faciam
r00k

Post by r00k »

I had a weird idea while sitting here after 2am.

What would it be like if each armor depreciated based on the percent of the armorvalue. Like:

save = ceil((((targ.armortype * (targ.armorvalue / 200))* damage));

Red Armor example...

armor t_damage damage-
200a (.80 * 1.0) * 120 = 96
150a (.80 * .75) * 120 = 72
100a (.80 * .50) * 120 = 48
50a (.80 * .25) * 120 = 24

normally even at 50a it would deflect up to 80% of inflicted damage ... ugh maybe im half asleep.
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

So without reviewing this thread, I revisited this idea last night due to a bit too much playing of CoD6. Glancing over it right now I see I used many of the same ideas, but some got a slight shift and others were ignored. Also I did only 4 per tier instead of 5, and implemented killstreak rewards and deathstreak rewards.

PERK1
Slipgater - All teleportation is silent and without visual effect. Pro - Get 10 telefrags with this - Health and armor are repaired 1 to 15 points per slipgate travel.
Armorer - All armor is worth the next tier up. Pro - Survive 5000 damage with this - Armor regenerates 1/s.
Ogre - Spawn with Chainsaw, Grenade Launcher and 5 rockets. Pro - Get 50 chainsaw or grenade kills - Grenades are cluster explosions.
Phantom - Spawn as a spectator, choosing where to spawn with a 10 second delay. Pro - Get 100 kills with this - Spawn without a delay.

PERK2
Shambler Hide - Take half damage from all explosions. Pro - Survive 5000 damage with this - Cells regenerate 1/s up to 30.
Elder Channeling - Powerups last 50% longer. Pro - Get 250 powerup kills with this perk - Do not drop powerups on death, but respawn with remaining time.
Immortal - Deaths from the environment respawn the player with inventory. Pro - Respawn 250 times with this perk - Player does not lose a frag for this.
Cannibal - Gibs act as health pickups. Pro - Get 2000 health from gibs - Gibs can be consumed up to 150 health.

PERK3
Stalker - Silent except for weapon fire. Pro - Get 250 kills with this perk - Silent except for weapon impact.
Deep One - Does not need to surface for air in water, moves 30% faster in liquids, ignores discharges. Pro - Get 250 kills with this perk - Can survive in slime, requiring only to surface for air from it.
Fiend - Jumping while swinging the ax allows for a long horizontal attacking jump doing extra damage. Pro - Get 50 ax kills with this perk - Take 75% less damage while performing Fiend jump.
Elemental - Ignore falling, drowning, slime and lava damage. Pro - Get 250 kills with this - 1/s health regen while in slime or lava.

FRAGSTREAKS
Psychic - 5 frag streak - Makes all enemy pickup sounds global for 2 minutes.
Thunderbolt - 7 frag streak - Lightning bolts from the sky target your enemy for 1 minute.
Vore Storm - 9 frag streak - Vore pods spawn out of slipgates and spawn spots targeting your enemy at random for 1 minute.
Hellgoat - 15 frag streak - Spawns 2 monsters at a time in separate random locations, Shambler, Vore or Fiend to fight for you. Monsters respawn within 5 seconds of death at a new location. 1 minute.

DEATHSTREAKS
Zombie - Can only be killed by being gibbed, movement reduced by 20%
Spawn - On death, spawn a teleport_train you can partially control, which on impact with anything will respawn you, which can be used to telefrag your killer.
Ghost - Spawn with 15 seconds of Ring of Shadows.[/list]
...and all around me was the chaos of battle and the reek of running blood.... and for the first time in my life I knew true happiness.
Wazat

Post by Wazat »

Neat ideas. I like lots of them, but have questions/concerns about several.

Does Phantom telefrag? Are you meant to telefrag to get the Pro effect, or is it just get X number of frags from the time you pick this perk?

Armorer and Ogre seem far better than slipgater, which seems like it would be hard to use to much effect.

Immortal has the potential for abuse, since players can just suicide into lava/slime in some levels any time they're about to die, to deny the enemy a frag and keep their stuff (though they lose a frag in the process without pro, it's often worth it).

Cannibal: How much HP is each gib worth? And does the player get the Pro effect from every gib on touch, or does he have to walk up and use an action to consume? 150 HP per gib seems amazing to me.

Stalker: I can imagine this being handy for silencing jumps, landing sounds, and a few other sounds, but unless the player is modified to make footstep noises normally, this may be underpowered in Quake.

Fiend could be very annoying, since perpetually bunnyhopping players are aggravating as it is. :D

Elemental has the potential to be a very bad feat without a certain fix. Slime and lava are often meant to be lethal, so a player can get completely stuck and forced to use the kill command. If he has some way to teleport to a spawn point after 10 seconds in slime/lava, then that fixes the problem.

How do fragstreaks and deathstreaks work? Are they automatic for any character that has a killing spree or death spree of x? Or does the player pick the perk, which becomes available once he's gotten that high of a streak?

Sorry for all the questions and nitpicks. I actually do like the idea, and I don't mean to come off negative. :D
When my computer inevitably explodes and kills me, my cat inherits everything I own. He may be the only one capable of continuing my work.
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

HOW DARE YOU QUESTION ME!

Nah, I meant to include a general clause of imbalance, noting that I made no serious effort to balance, as this really was a "I don't want to go to bed yet, I'll write something" exercise.

Phantom is not meant to telefrag, rather it is to get beyond enemy lines or evade a spawn kill cycle.

Slipgater is the more subtle perk definitely, but imagine on dm6 being able to use any of the slipgates without any indication to your opponent - couple that with the quick double slipgate move you can do on some levels and it becomes rather significant. I know when I hear a slipgate sound it narrows down my opponent's position very quickly.

Immortal does have a potential for abuse, but at the same time your description is its whole focus, it makes choosing where you attack your opponent all the more important.

Cannibal makes each gib function on a value of 5 to 25 health on touch, at the pro level the value is the same but they can consume up to 150 health worth. No gib is worth 150 hp, or even 50. =)

Stalker is the one I feel could be overpowered, particularly on maps like e1m2 where sound is a huge thing. But I'm really big on sound in Quake in general.

Fiend - Every mod idea I have presupposes fixing the bunnyhopping defect.

Elemental - Very true, perhaps after 15 seconds it throws you at a spawn point?

Fragstreaks are just an incrementing of a counter with each kill, which is reset to 0 on spawning. Frags gained by a fragstreak summon are not included in this count. Deathstreaks are an incrementing counter that resets to 0 whenever they get a frag.
...and all around me was the chaos of battle and the reek of running blood.... and for the first time in my life I knew true happiness.
Wazat

Post by Wazat »

Sounds good. I love discussing ideas like this. :D
Cobalt

Post by Cobalt »

Interesting ideas !

The ax mod reminds me of on bta's (dp) newdm server.....I think he bumps up your maxspeed if you have the ring and use the axe. Technicly, if you are behind someone, standing still, and use the axe, thats a kill right there......maybe also if you have the ring and are standing still, and score a hit, its a high chance of a kill.
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

BTA is actually a clan (Brotherhood of The Axe) which Monster is a member of, you can see the site for it here: http://ghdigital.com/~havoc/bta/

Yeah, he and I have discussed many ideas for how to upgrade NewDM a bit more than what Canadian*Sniper initially did. I don't know what exactly he has currently implemented however.
Cobalt

Post by Cobalt »

Its a nice server. He putGyro in, kickable heads....not sure if the ssg closeup blast was an original part of snipers mod, but thats definately one of the better ideas I have seen.

He tries to put stuff in that does not really pull it completely out of the world of legacy quake and into DP's world exclusively, aside from the map downloads on connect. He and I talk about stuff alot with QC during the games when I catch him there. Didnt know that page for the clan.
scar3crow wrote:BTA is actually a clan (Brotherhood of The Axe) which Monster is a member of, you can see the site for it here: http://ghdigital.com/~havoc/bta/

Yeah, he and I have discussed many ideas for how to upgrade NewDM a bit more than what Canadian*Sniper initially did. I don't know what exactly he has currently implemented however.