Quake based tennis

Non-technical talk about multiplayer and singleplayer gameplay and game design.

Quake tennis anyone?

Yay
75%
Nay
25%

Total votes: 8

Juan

Quake based tennis

Post by Juan »

Quick first post here; I've being in touch with Quake mostly by the Sega Dreamcast ports.

Seeing good non-fps Quake mods makes me wonder if anyone has attempted using the engine for a tennis game.

In most (if not all) tennis games, you control the player and the racket as an entity. For instance, you can't hit the ball to one side while running to the opposite. You have to get to one side and change your only directional control to wherever you want to hit.

Now, while this seems to make a more "tactical" game by positioning the player before hitting the ball, I rather see a game where you actually separate both aspects even if it reduces the challenge.

But then, without going into deeper aspects of tennis, a first person view would certainly make things more interesting.
Besides a keyboard/mouse configuration to control the player and racket respectively, having a sight could very well fit one of the principles of tennis: precision comes from on-center hits.

So, as a simplified concept, you could move the player with a typical WASD configuration, control the player view with the mouse, while having a sight that has to be aiming at the ball before hitting it. The longer you keep your aim at the ball, the more precise your shoot will be. Sort of an "aim lock" before you actually move the mouse according to where you wanna return it.

And shooting could be driven Virtua Tennis style (>VT2 actually); say left mouse button for a top spin shot, right for slice effect and both for a drop shot. The longer you hold either, the more powerful/further it goes.

Of course tennis is a fast game and this could be hard to do (hell, even hard to play), but this is just an unfounded concept without much knowledge of how the engine works and how (if) it could be implemented.

I would love to see something like this though. Given a base like that, there could be many possibilities to be added, such as different "aiming" timing given the player's abilities; stamina (maybe not as a graphical measure, but related to precision); sprint ( I could dig this as a rechargeable bar); and who knows what else.

One can dream, right?
*Theoretically* this could help to inspire someone.... Or bore them to death. Either way, I just had to post it.

Greets.
CocoT

Post by CocoT »

The longer you keep your aim at the ball, the more precise your shoot will be. Sort of an "aim lock" before you actually move the mouse according to where you wanna return it.
Sounds fun! :)
Neurotic Conversions - New location: Update your bookmarks!
MeTcHsteekle

Post by MeTcHsteekle »

make the ball a grenade.mdl
and the racet the v_axe.mdl

and you have yourself a a serverside mod :D (yay)
bah
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

I made one
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

sounds like it would be something fun to check out just for the sake of wow thats cool someone turned a fps into this, sorta thing ... but i couldnt ever see it being a serious mod.
Entar

Post by Entar »

If done well, I think that could be a pretty fun mod. Maybe throw some AI in there, and/or online multiplayer (maybe use DP for less lag).
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

i thought the grenade for the ball model was cool, it should be quake based tennis lol it could be fun and to get points make the grenades have an owner that switches each time its hit to the other player and if the person misses it explodes and kills them lol then the other person gets a point ! that could be real fun :D u could call it quake-tris
:P

EDIT: although i think a dodge ball game would be more fun.
-z-

Post by -z- »

Revenant made a mod called 'Nexball' for Nexuiz 2.3. He modified the mortar to fire a ball. He had many maps, 'tennis', 'golf', 'soccer', 'vollyball', basketball and ctf-like maps. It was loads of fun while it lasted but unfortunately not packaging it with the source proved to be a fatal fall when he ended up losing the source, so no more Nex Ball for 2.4.x :(.

This alone was fun enough, I'd love to see an elaborated version of this but sticking true to the FPS... much like a "Mario Sport" game.
Nexuiz Ninjaz - Practicing the ninja arts of Nexuiz | Happy 1 Year Ninjaz! - Mapping Contest to celebrate!
salexa

Post by salexa »

What can be used to stop tennis balls from flying away in the tennis court? I like to play tennis but it's so hard to keep the balls around. I am not really good at playing it so the balls often fly over the fense or to the other side of the court. I play at a local park where a large tennis courts are placed. I am thiknig of some kind of mesh that can be put accorss from one side to the other...what do you think you can use for it?