Map compiling problems

Discuss the construction of maps and the tools to create maps for 3D games.
Nash

Map compiling problems

Post by Nash »

I'm having some problems when compiling a map using the command line.

I'm trying to compile a map I made in Worldcraft 3.3 and when I try to use hmap2.exe to turn the .map into a .bsp, I get an error along the lines of "bla\bla\bla\id_base.hlwad is not a valid Quake WAD2 file!"

What am I doing wrong?
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Re: Map compiling problems

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

Nash wrote:I'm having some problems when compiling a map using the command line.

I'm trying to compile a map I made in Worldcraft 3.3 and when I try to use hmap2.exe to turn the .map into a .bsp, I get an error along the lines of "bla\bla\bla\id_base.hlwad is not a valid Quake WAD2 file!"

What am I doing wrong?
And now we get into why leilei and myself use the pre-halflife era worldcrafts. You'll need to procure another idbase wadfile, this time properly formatted for regular quake.

There are a number of ways of doing this, though the easiest would be to find one of the texture extracting programs out there.

Once you've done that, you'll need to manually edit your .map file so that the textures point to this properly formatted wadfile.
Preach

Re: Map compiling problems

Post by Preach »

The tools from http://user.tninet.se/~xir870k/ work directly with hl format wads for maps exported from hammer. You do have to use seperate programs for light and vis, but it's not that bad.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Bengt Jardup's compilers seem to suck though, causing crashes in everything but his own engine. Not really recommended
i should not be here
Preach

Post by Preach »

Hmmm....pretty much everyone on func_ uses them, and I've never experienced any crashes from maps built with them. The only case I can think of is maps which exceed standard quake limits are built using these tools, and then you have to run them in an engine like aguirre's to make them work. But that doesn't sound like the problem you're having, got an example map? I'm sure aguirre at least would love to see that to help you out/fix up problems in the compiler.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Preach wrote:But that doesn't sound like the problem you're having, got an example map?
Try compiling a Quake map from Quake, then try running it in Winquake.
i should not be here
Preach

Post by Preach »

I can play, for example, the map I just posted in the rotating door thread in winquake, after compiling it with these tools. It'd probably be more illustrative if you posted a map that doesn't work.