Trigger monsters warp in

Discuss the construction of maps and the tools to create maps for 3D games.
dayfive

Trigger monsters warp in

Post by dayfive »

How do you do it? What are the limitations when dealing specifically with Quake 1?

For example, when you kill a certain monster or activate a certain trigger, it triggers monsters warping in (presumably from their off-map containment area)

Advice or techniques are much appreciated!
Preach

Re: Trigger monsters warp in

Post by Preach »

The standard way:

Build the outside box, and place the monster in it. Also create a info_teleport_destination entity at the place you wish the monster to appear in the map once it teleports. Give this info_teleport_destination a targetname keyvalue, like ambush1.

Create a trigger_teleport brush entity surrounding just the monster you want to teleport from the outside box. Then give the trigger_teleport a target keyvalue with the same name as the targetname you just entered(in this example ambush1). This tells the teleporter to send whatever it teleports to the entity with the name ambush1.

Finally, give the trigger_teleport a targetname corresponding to the event you want to trigger the teleporting monster.

The only real restriction with teleports is that they will only teleport monsters and players, not grenades, ammo or items. This could be changed in triggers.qc

The neater way:
It takes three entities to get teleporting to work in this way, which is a bit wasteful. Blowing my own trumpet here, but there's a tutorial I wrote which reduces the number of entities you need and makes teleporting much easier for a mapper to set up. It can be found here:
http://www.inside3d.com/showtutorial.php?id=171
After you make the modifications to the code in the tutorial, you can make a monster that teleports simply by placing the monster where you want it to appear, then giving it a spawnflag and the targetname of the triggering event. It's neat!
Lardarse

Post by Lardarse »

Without looking at the tutorial, I know that the neater way has been used in several other mods. Zerstörer was the first. Quoth has it as well. A lot of mappers that like to make "epic maps" also use that trick.
Preach

Post by Preach »

Oh yeah, I don't want to take credit for the idea of it, I took it from other mods I've seen. I just end up promoting my stuff all the time on here...
dayfive

Re: Trigger monsters warp in

Post by dayfive »

Preach, your response was useful, helpful, and informative as usual!

I thank you for answering the question in such a detailed way. Thanks!
Preach wrote:The standard way:

Build the outside box, and place the monster in it. Also create a info_teleport_destination entity at the place you wish the monster to appear in the map once it teleports. Give this info_teleport_destination a targetname keyvalue, like ambush1.

Create a trigger_teleport brush entity surrounding just the monster you want to teleport from the outside box. Then give the trigger_teleport a target keyvalue with the same name as the targetname you just entered(in this example ambush1). This tells the teleporter to send whatever it teleports to the entity with the name ambush1.

Finally, give the trigger_teleport a targetname corresponding to the event you want to trigger the teleporting monster.

The only real restriction with teleports is that they will only teleport monsters and players, not grenades, ammo or items. This could be changed in triggers.qc

The neater way:
It takes three entities to get teleporting to work in this way, which is a bit wasteful. Blowing my own trumpet here, but there's a tutorial I wrote which reduces the number of entities you need and makes teleporting much easier for a mapper to set up. It can be found here:
http://www.inside3d.com/showtutorial.php?id=171
After you make the modifications to the code in the tutorial, you can make a monster that teleports simply by placing the monster where you want it to appear, then giving it a spawnflag and the targetname of the triggering event. It's neat!
Lardarse

Post by Lardarse »

Preach wrote:I just end up promoting my stuff all the time on here...
And that's a bad thing... because?