Playing nice with the BSP compiler?

Discuss the construction of maps and the tools to create maps for 3D games.
Quake Matt

Playing nice with the BSP compiler?

Post by Quake Matt »

I've just started work on a new map but, after fiddling with a three-levelled floor for a few minutes, I've got a bit stuck deciding how best to place the brushes. Here's a pic:

It's a base-styled map with three floor levels (8 units apart, I think) to break up the flat surface and to help get a bit of extra height on the left-hand side. I've laid out my brushes with lots of criss-crossing, attemping to cut down on the amount of verticies, almost like you'd do for a low-poly model. My worry is that once I start adding details, the BSP compiler's going to break up my geometry and introduce more polys that it would otherwise.

So, basically, is it a good idea to continue doing this, or should I try to keep everything simple and ortho-aligned?
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

I dunno if there's much mroe the compiler can do to that map, other than a few t-junctions.

Looks clean to me to the point of beauty ;)

I dunno how obsessives actual mappers get about it though.

As for details, yeah they're going to break stuff up, but a clean map can't hurt. Just use the trick of making things actually 1 unit away from the floor/ceiling as much as possible and/or using func_walls if you don't mind no shadows, and I guess check out the wireframe after you load it up in a quake engine.
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.