Worldcraft 1.6a, .MAP format and triangles

Discuss the construction of maps and the tools to create maps for 3D games.
DieparBaby

Worldcraft 1.6a, .MAP format and triangles

Post by DieparBaby »

Worldcraft does not seem to save triangle (5 sided) brushes too well in the .MAP format. It's fine in the .RMF format. Here's what I did:

I created your standard 6 sided brush, selected and then turned on vertex manipulation. I moved one of the corners in 2D view so that it was linearly aligned with two others, thus creating a triangle (but with 4 vertices). Then I saved it as rmf. Then I saved it as .map. When I close and then re-open the rmf, the triangle is still there. But when I close and re-open the .map file, the triangle has reverted to its original square (cube) shape.

Is there a workaround for this?

Thanks,

DieparBaby
Preach

Re: Worldcraft 1.6a, .MAP format and triangles

Post by Preach »

DieparBaby wrote:Worldcraft does not seem to save triangle (5 sided) brushes too well in the .MAP format. It's fine in the .RMF format. Here's what I did:

I created your standard 6 sided brush, selected and then turned on vertex manipulation. I moved one of the corners in 2D view so that it was linearly aligned with two others, thus creating a triangle (but with 4 vertices). Then I saved it as rmf. Then I saved it as .map. When I close and then re-open the rmf, the triangle is still there. But when I close and re-open the .map file, the triangle has reverted to its original square (cube) shape.

Is there a workaround for this?

Thanks,

DieparBaby
Did you leave vertex edit mode before you saved? The changes aren't made permanently until you exit vertex edit mode. The rmf probably saves the in editor status at the same time, so disguising the problem.

I'm also not sure that having zero sized faces in your map is the best way to do things, later version of worldcraft will offer to merge vertices if you move them on top of one another. There may be compiler errors/warnings produce, and it's redundant if nothing else. You might also try using the clipping tool to make your triangle, it is safer than the vertex edit as you cannot create invalid(concave) brushes with it.
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

I doubt degenerate faces are handled gracefully.
Also, if you have a face that is a >3 sided polygon (for example four points), take care when vertex editing. If you take a quad and move one vertex down it's not planar anymore, and will bugger up when you compile it and load it up.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'triangle brush', but if you want a pyramid type thing, use the 'spike' primitive in worldcraft.
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.