E4M3 (elder god Shrine) Reports wrong tex?

Discuss the construction of maps and the tools to create maps for 3D games.
Cobalt

E4M3 (elder god Shrine) Reports wrong tex?

Post by Cobalt »

I am putting in provisions for detecting the surface textures the player contacts while walking using DP. SO far I have a good system going, except on this map I encounter completely different texture reports on some parts of the map, mostly the section where the tombstones are and the adjoining areas nearby. Is this map constructed differently in some ways than other maps? I suppose it could be my QC needs tweaking but so far on other maps these textures report correctly.
Cobalt

Re: E4M3 (elder god Shrine) Reports wrong tex?

Post by Cobalt »

Update:

I took this opportunity toi further tweak my footsteps code. I decided I would map out the player frames where his foot is actually beginning to make contact while moving. Had to map out the axe run frames as well....but its working and only calls footsteps for these frames which fine tunes some things a bit more, however the texture reporting for that map is still buggerd...and also on possibly another 1 or 2 Ep 4 maps. Will post further findings.
Cobalt

Post by Cobalt »

Still kinda buggered with this. Just at random I decided to load up the QRP texture pack and the issues are gone. Oh and did anyone know there is a secret area on e4m3 that they forgot about?
xaGe

Post by xaGe »

They "who"? Do you mean one of these? I remember deathmatching so much on that level way back when... 8)
Cobalt

Post by Cobalt »

Nope Xage....

by "they" I mean , I guess the map author > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Petersen

I was gonna post a screenshot here but last night I fixed these spawn locations that were too low, and resulted in spawning you into the secret area. So now they spawn in the right map locations. But the secret area, is not a "true" secret area in the traditional Quake sense. Its more in line with how American McGee hid monsters in a room on e1m7, and now in MP we can use that room by teleporting into it. I wonder if this was a spot where monsters were held. If so, its sorta like a secret area....:)
xaGe

Post by xaGe »

Ahh very cool. :) I like Sandy's career and interests after Quake as well.