Lighting/Shadows models?

Discuss the construction of maps and the tools to create maps for 3D games.
SusanMDK

Lighting/Shadows models?

Post by SusanMDK »

I thought I'd light Q3BSP with the lightmaps and then use the .rtlights for lights with lightstyles, and set these lightstyle lights to appear in normalmode.

Works ok.. except it looks a bit out of place when things get better shadows from the blinking lights, while elsewhere the shadows are from r_shadows 1 or 2. Disable shadows for the blinking lights.. and then it looks bad when the light go through level geometry. Can I disable model shadows from the light only, and only when in normalmode?
zbang!
Spike

Re: Lighting/Shadows models?

Post by Spike »

an rtlight can be set up to not cast shadows, yes.
doing it *ONLY* in normal(dlight) mode is a problem that can only be fixed with r_shadow_realtime_dlight_shadows 0. which is annoying.
the solution then is to make two sets of lights. shadowless ones in normal/dlight mode, and shadowed ones in realtime mode (assuming your gpu can cope with that, anyway).
SusanMDK

Post by SusanMDK »

I mean that I want the light to cast shadows from the level, but not cast shadows from the models. Maybe this sort of light could still affect the direction of r_shadows 1, but it wouldn't cast another shadow from the models.

I already have shadows disabled from the dynamic lights... There's just too many of these to cast shadows from anything. Maybe the "level shadows & no model shadows" setting could also work for some dynamic lights? Like disable all shadows for fast moving projectiles, but allow some player's flashlight to cast shadows from the level, but not from models.

I'm thinking this sort of settings could create a more consistent look on the r_shadows.
zbang!
Nahuel

Post by Nahuel »

You can use the dp effect DP_NOSHADOW in qc o dpnoshadow in the sahder script of the model
hi, I am nahuel, I love quake and qc.