fte external textures

Discuss the construction of maps and the tools to create maps for 3D games.
ceriux

fte external textures

Post by ceriux »

so iv been talking in private about this with spike. but maybe theres someone who can reply a bit speedier.

shouldnt i need a glow map or something to get my texture to display this way? i thought only palette glow colors were affected by paletted images. ( im using a tga )

iv pasted my original texture over the screen so that you can see the difference.

gnounc

Re: fte external textures

Post by gnounc »

I'm pretty sure the lava texture is specially recognized and made to glow. So if you replace the lava texture, whatever you put on there will emit light.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

gnounc wrote:I'm pretty sure the lava texture is specially recognized and made to glow. So if you replace the lava texture, whatever you put on there will emit light.

its not the default lava texture, but it is just named "lava" maybe ill try and call it yomamalava and see what happens
r00k

Post by r00k »

if u use palette colors greater than 224 it should be fullbright
meaning use the red white yellow of the last row in the quake palette then turn on bloom and poof glow in the dark lava! :)

oh wait u said external textures hmm
im not sure what the naming is for fte's fullbright texture mask is
something like lava_fb.tga maybe?
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

r00k wrote:if u use palette colors greater than 224 it should be fullbright
meaning use the red white yellow of the last row in the quake palette then turn on bloom and poof glow in the dark lava! :)

oh wait u said external textures hmm
im not sure what the naming is for fte's fullbright texture mask is
something like lava_fb.tga maybe?

the thing is i dont want it to glow unless i have a glow texture applied to it. which is part of the reason im using tga's. i wanted to get away from the limitations and rules of the quake palette. is there a command or something i could use to turn that off?
Spike

Post by Spike »

water surfaces are unlit, and not subject to lumas. yours is not a water surface - a surface without a * prefix is not a water surface. this allows the 8bit texture to glow like that.

the regular lava texture replacement path would be textures/#lava.tga - the * of the bsp's texture name is not a valid filename character and thus is replaced with a #
For your static non-lava texture, you should remove the #

you can check if the engine can find the file (even if it isn't loading it) with:
flocate textures/#lava.tga
this just makes sure that its in the right gamedir or whatever. as an added bonus, it'll tell you which pk3 its loading it from.

in order for the engine to try to load replacement textures, gl_load24bit must be set to 1 (and may need a vid_restart if the engine has already tried to load it).

FTE will currently generate a luma texture from the 8bit data regardless of whether a replacement diffusemap exists or not. to stop it from being fullbright you'll need to provide a black/invisible luma image.
In future I'll make it not use 8bit luma if it found a replacement diffuse texture, which should make things simpler.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

thank you spike ill report back asap

thanks for the help everyone got it working thanks to everyones help!