About func_wall

Discuss the construction of maps and the tools to create maps for 3D games.
JasonX

About func_wall

Post by JasonX »

What is the purpose of a func_wall? Is it implemented on the BSP compiler, or on the engine?
frag.machine

Re: About func_wall

Post by frag.machine »

Basically, func_wall allows the mappers to define parts of the main map in a separated model to be manipulated via QuakeC (like the floor in the central room at start.bsp).
Many mods have destructible walls which are just a variant of the standard func_wall.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
r00k

Post by r00k »

Every time i wrote on a func_wall i got no replies, func_messageboard works much better ;)
Spike

Post by Spike »

it enables compiler warnings...

wait...

actually, it allows
a) killtarget to remove walls.
b) triggering to change animations.
c) selective spawning (via spawnflags) so you can remove them in deathmatch to open up your map.

it has also been used to
d) reduce world bsp complexity, improving vis times, acting as a poor-man's func_detail.

it is implemented by the gamecode, and is just a solid bsp object like any door or train or plat or whatever is. the engine and qbsp have no special awareness.
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

it also casts no shadows in normal quake engines, reducing its usefulness as a detail brush substitute.
r00k

Post by r00k »

It could have an alpha channel and be used as a force-field... trigger inflicts pain on .other. :O