Worldcraft - parts of the maps disappearing....

Discuss the construction of maps and the tools to create maps for 3D games.
ajay

Worldcraft - parts of the maps disappearing....

Post by ajay »

Bit of a confusing problem. As you may know my maps is rather large, and I'm used to various "too many objects" errors on loading it in Worldcraft and things like trees not showing up in the editor, but showing up fine in the compiled map.
Now I'm having brushwork disappear (in all views), again it shows up when the map compiles. Individual buildings are worked on in smaller test maps and then copied over, but the problem comes when positioning them correctly if not all the brushes are present!
Is there a solution or am I just overloading some older software?
frag.machine

Re: Worldcraft - parts of the maps disappearing....

Post by frag.machine »

Personally, since you already split some of the buildings to separated files, in your place I'd try to load those parts as separated BSP models (think something in the line of func_wall where you inform the model name) to minimize or even erradicate this problem. You will need to carefully lit them in order to get a seamless final result, and you won't benefit from VIS optimization but I suppose the benefits outweight the cons.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

iv been wanting to find time to start mapping with trenchbroom.
ajay

Post by ajay »

Oh crap. Now it's given up on light entities. Pasted the new version of the flats in, with lights. Compiled and all the lights in the map had the same value, colour etc. Now, I can't even find the street light lights from within Worldcraft to change them back. It's getting mostly unworkable now. Ambition greater than reality somewhat. Will try deleting the flats out, re-doing all the pre-existing streetlights, moving the flats back in, and then compiling again. I suppose it's possible I ballsed something up when I pasted it in, but I think that I'm overdoing the editor. Oh crap. :(
ajay

Post by ajay »

Yep TrenchBroom is providing a solution, I can see all the map components and everything's functional. I'm struggling to get used to a new way of mapping (old dog - new tricks etc) but using a combination of WC and TB means I can keep on going. Happy days.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

since trenchbroom has updated to allow for custom binds and wasd movment. its a lot easier to get around. coming from worldcarft/hammer myself.