Fog - in buildings

Discuss the construction of maps and the tools to create maps for 3D games.
ajay

Fog - in buildings

Post by ajay »

My observation is that fog will appear in a building if there's any part open, e.g. a big hole in the building or an open door. However if a building is completely enclosed, even with a door that can open at some point, then there'd be no fog inside. Is this true?
qbism

Re: Fog - in buildings

Post by qbism »

A theory: It's about humidity, damp surfaces, dew point, and the kind of light that illuminates fog. Enclosed buildings tend to contain air that becomes drier than the outside air. Maybe that air is also warmed by heat stored by the building mass during the sunlit day. Interiors tend to be lit with point light sources (lamps, candles) rather than moonlight or early sun scattered through clouds. A big hole equalizes the air temp and humidity and also admits diffuse natural lighting.
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

I guess in buildings you also usually don't have the view distance required to notice fog.

The farther you can see, the more particles are going to be in your line of sight.

I'm pretty sure fog doesn't stop at buildings, it's just harder to notice.
Nahuel

Post by Nahuel »

:) so just try with high fog values, a teleporter, a value of "0.3 0.3 0.3 0.3", and see the effect insde the room
hi, I am nahuel, I love quake and qc.
Seven

Post by Seven »

Hello ajay,

I never noticed that fog will stop at walls. Standard fog is usually everywhere throughout the map.
That also applies to fog with z-height-limit.

I once talked to LH about a similar topic:
A fog, that can be caught inside an invisible box so to speak... (with defined X/Y/Z limits)

You would have the possibility to have different fog in different parts of the map.
Some areas with thick ground fog (near rivers/water)
and some very thin fog on other areas with different z-heights as well.

LH said, that this would take a heavy amount of coding work, so it will most probably not happen.
Spike suggest a fog type which is used in Q3. I think it is called 'volumetric fog' ? I forgot its name...