Quake Map Sources

Discuss the construction of maps and the tools to create maps for 3D games.
FrikaC
Site Admin

Quake Map Sources

Post by FrikaC »

If you're living under a rock you might not have notices the news of Romero releasing the Quake map sources on the main page of i3d or over at PQ. Anyway I was wondering if anyone has comments or plans for these releases.

I myself was plainning back in 2001 to do a standalone deathmatch game based on Quake and FrikBot, but plans fell through. The one thing that makes Quake DM so fun, imo, is the maps and without those you end up with... bleh. Currently I have no plans, but I'm interested to hear what other people have in mind.
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

Id be interested in the standalone deathmatch mod with Frikbots, especially if you go more in depth with their combat ai.

I know multiple people have spoken of doing quake.bsp, a unified map for all of singleplayer Quake. Sajt has taken steps towards it, and LordHavoc had spoken of it as well with me on irc.
Entar

Post by Entar »

scar3crow wrote:I know multiple people have spoken of doing quake.bsp, a unified map for all of singleplayer Quake. Sajt has taken steps towards it, and LordHavoc had spoken of it as well with me on irc.
Wouldn't that be freaking huge, to the point where DP (and maybe FTEQW) would be the only engine(s) running it, and it would still have trouble? :p

Anyhoo, I'd also like to see a standalone deathmatch mod from FrikaC and his bots.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

dm3 ctf!
i should not be here
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

I have been planning two projects, one after the other:

1. Fixing the errors, z-fighting, wad problems, etc. in the maps in a public subversion repository, so hopefully there won't be a bunch of different projects doing the same thing.

2. Making a tool to create a quake.bsp: an OpenGL .map renderer, which allows you to import .map files and move them around or rotate them by 90 degrees yaw, and remove certain brushes (i.e. the black walls at the back of the exit doorways, and patch changelevels into teleports, and rename targetnames to <mapname>_<targetname> etc. This can then be exported into a big .map or saved in its own format, which should allow for easily updating the big map if something was changed in the other .maps.

I'm going to start them up as soon as I can think of a name for the project ('Quake Map Project' doesn't really cut it) and get a webspace and svn off of Echon.
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.
FrikaC
Site Admin

Post by FrikaC »

Sajt, I need to pester you about something.
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

I know :(
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.
FrikaC
Site Admin

Post by FrikaC »

No, not that, something else.
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

Well, I'm on #mindart now.
Tonik

Post by Tonik »

Guys, fixing map bugs is a good idea, but there's a gotcha: you'll need a different set of .lits to use with the modified maps (or a smart algorithm that will align the data in the lighmap lump with the original bsp's).

I'm doing some research here (http://quakeworld.nu/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 110#p13110) in an attempt to produce an identical (lightmap wise at least) remake of id maps.

The problem is that I don't have the same version of qbsp that was used to compile the maps in pak0/1.pak. The one I have, from qutils.zip/q1tools_gpl.tgz, is a newer version. One obvious difference is that skies are no longer treated as solid. This one is easy to revert, but there must be other changes resulting in different vertex/node/leaf etc counts.

What I'm thinking, by any chance, does someone have an old version of qbsp identical to what id used? It can be identified by the peculiar treatment of sky brushes.

Your help is appreciated :)
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

.lits, pfft who needs those?
i should not be here
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Could you extract the lightmap from a bsp? Maybe you could apply the old lightmaps to the new build bsp. :shock:
Tonik

Post by Tonik »

Spirit wrote:Maybe you could apply the old lightmaps to the new build bsp. :shock:
Well yes, it should be possible to modify lightmap offsets to match those in the original bsp.
In fact you'll be able to use a slightly modified bsp (map bugs fixed etc) with the old .lit!

Someone just has to write the tool to do that :)
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Re: Quake Map Sources

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

FrikaC wrote:Anyway I was wondering if anyone has comments or plans for these releases.
Muahahahahahahaha!

Or, rather, that's what I'd like to say. If I had any time that is. :/
Tomaz

Post by Tomaz »

Why are you even worried about the bsps being identical? If you want them identical, dont compile these and use the bsps from your quake cd.. problem solved.