Quake Map Sources

Discuss the construction of maps and the tools to create maps for 3D games.
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

Yeah :p
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

BUT THEN QUAKEWOUDERS CANT USE THEIR FULBRITE LITS!!!!!!
i should not be here
xaGe

Post by xaGe »

AWEEEee... That would be to badd... lol :roll:

Seriously!? who cares about freakin .lit's ...If people want them so badly they can just make remake them from the newly compiled maps... :D Problem solved... I am far more concerned with the little map fixes like misaligned textures, solid sky's, and etc...
CheapAlert wrote:BUT THEN QUAKEWOUDERS CANT USE THEIR FULBRITE LITS!!!!!!
FrikaC
Site Admin

Post by FrikaC »

Screwed up lightmaps are on the list of problems anyway.
Entar

Post by Entar »

Now that the Quake map sources are released GPL, wouldn't it be much easier to do a OpenQuartz style thing, only much better? All we need to finish off the maps is a decent .wad that's faithful to Quake. After that, a few models and some sounds, and we've got an open source Quake. I'd help if I was better at that sort of thing...

Anyway, are there any plans like this?
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

i should not be here
Entar

Post by Entar »

CheapAlert: yeah.

If we were to get a proper open source Quake, the possibilities would be endless. For starters, every mod that wanted to be standalone could be, and we would never have to hear about people wanting to mod but not being able to find Quake. :wink:
CocoT

Post by CocoT »

Open source Quake would be so cool. I'm surprised that, such a long time after the source's release, it still has not been done yet.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

it's been done, it's called openquartz. problem is there's no quality control and it's not active :\
i should not be here
Entar

Post by Entar »

I meant a fresh project, with actual Quake likeness... now that the maps are GPL, it shouldn't be hard at all.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Entar wrote:I meant a fresh project, with actual Quake likeness...
Treading on a IP's likeness may be a bad idea.
i should not be here
Entar

Post by Entar »

Not that exact likeness, but you know. I'm just saying the maps are GPL now, so the possibility is much more feasible now.
FrikaC
Site Admin

Post by FrikaC »

He means not froo-froo zombie tree candyland.
CocoT

Post by CocoT »

it's been done, it's called openquartz
I know there is Openquartz, I haven't exactly been living under a rock during my eight years in this community... I meant the same thing as Entar, something people would feel is so close to the original that they basically have the impression it's Quake for free. With all the bonuses of a modern engine, of course.
You're right, though, Openquartz was a pretty cool alternative and it is sad it has been discontinued.
HeadThump

Post by HeadThump »

Yeah, IP doctrine can get out of hand and be a pain in the ass when misused by legalist. If you poke around games and graphic design that came before Quake, you will find where Id borrowed ideas for just about everything in Quake. It is not an indictment of Id to say this because ideas don't just spring out of nowhere. That concept is a monadic and rather modern myth (I blame Rawls for modern Idealism, but anyway). Obviously, everyone is influenced by the materials they are exposed to in there lives. Art is a slight of hand trick, not real voodoo.