[Darkplaces]Correctly sizing textures in NetRadiant/q3map2?

Discuss the construction of maps and the tools to create maps for 3D games.
jjsullivan5196

[Darkplaces]Correctly sizing textures in NetRadiant/q3map2?

Post by jjsullivan5196 »

Hey guys, I already posted this to func_msgboard but I'd like to make sure I get the best answer possible. I'm having a bit of trouble with new textures in a game I'm making, I can get them into Radiant and use them but they are way too big. I'm finding this a bit funny though as I tried a PK3 from xonotic and the textures size perfectly, but as soon as they're taken out of the PK3 they do the same thing as my textures. Does anyone know how to get them to size automatically? (I also tried the surface inspector but it only worked to a certain size, from there it just skewed the textures.)
goldenboy

Re: [Darkplaces]Correctly sizing textures in NetRadiant/q3ma

Post by goldenboy »

Set the default texture scale in Radiant to like 0.125.

There is no correct size, really, it all depends what your ingame scale is - how big things are in the game - and how much resolution you want. Smaller scale = higher resolution.

With q3bsp, I usually scale a 512x512 texture so it fits 64x64 units in Radiant. I believe that's a scale factor of 0.125.
jjsullivan5196

Post by jjsullivan5196 »

goldenboy wrote:Set the default texture scale in Radiant to like 0.125.

There is no correct size, really, it all depends what your ingame scale is - how big things are in the game - and how much resolution you want. Smaller scale = higher resolution.

With q3bsp, I usually scale a 512x512 texture so it fits 64x64 units in Radiant. I believe that's a scale factor of 0.125.
How would I set the default texture scale? Is there a key in the config files?
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

Press P for Preferences. It's under "Brushes" IIRC.
jjsullivan5196

Post by jjsullivan5196 »

goldenboy wrote:Press P for Preferences. It's under "Brushes" IIRC.
Thanks man, I appreciate it.
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

No prob.

Remember the default setting is not the law, so if you think some textures should be scaled differently, by all means do so.

And compare the resulting ingame texture size to the size of your player, because in the end that is what needs to match up.

In other words, a single brick in a wall should not be as big as the player. So experiment with the scales if necessary. I'm sure you understand what I mean.

If it looks right, it is right.