The TrenchBroom Level Editor for Quake

Discuss the construction of maps and the tools to create maps for 3D games.
qbism

Re: The TrenchBroom Level Editor for Quake

Post by qbism »

SleepwalkR wrote:
qbism wrote:I couldn't select path_corners except with a selection brush. Most other point entities were easy to select.
Are you using a custom entity definition file or one of the builtin files?
The built-in fgd files. The menu item says "corner" but the label says "path_corner", if that matters.
SleepwalkR

Post by SleepwalkR »

qbism wrote:The built-in fgd files. The menu item says "corner" but the label says "path_corner", if that matters.
Thanks for the report. This will be fixed in 1.0.3.
SleepwalkR

TrenchBroom 1.0.3

Post by SleepwalkR »

Changes
- Fix off-by-one bug of mod list in map properties dialog.
- Snap vertex coordinates if close to integer coordinates.
- Add logging on all platforms.
- Properly merge spawnflags when loading fgd or def files.
- Properly set the size of point entities from fgd files.
- Fix crash bug when clipping all selected brushes.

Get it here.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

qbism wrote: The built-in fgd files.
built-in ? does this tool not support external (custom) fgds?
SleepwalkR

Post by SleepwalkR »

ceriux wrote:built-in ? does this tool not support external (custom) fgds?
Of course it also supports external FGD and DEF files. You can load them by opening the Map Properties dialog (Edit > Map Properties), then selecting "Choose..." from the first dropdown list.
qbism

Post by qbism »

qbism wrote:I couldn't select path_corners except with a selection brush. Most other point entities were easy to select.
When selecting a subdirectory to search for entity models, the selected directory is searched, but the wrong dir name is displayed.
Both items are fixed in 1.03, thanks!
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

cool thanks. another question. will this editor also support other bsp formats ? it would be really cool if it could support as many as dp and fte support. if not its still a great editor. i love how it automatically clips things for you if its needed. no more invalid brush errors =).
SleepwalkR

Post by SleepwalkR »

ceriux wrote:cool thanks. another question. will this editor also support other bsp formats ? it would be really cool if it could support as many as dp and fte support. if not its still a great editor. i love how it automatically clips things for you if its needed. no more invalid brush errors =).
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "other bsp formats". The editor isn't concerned with bsp at all. I suppose you mean "other map formats" such as Quake 2 and Quake 3?
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Ok, tested the program quickly opening an existing map, and found this bug: in some entities the description label gets garbled text (both in the 3D view and in the selection panel, which suggests corrupted strings somewhere and not just a rendering problem).

In the image below, you see a bunch of regular path_corners with this problem:

This map has a lot of custom entities, but this seems unrelated to the bug, since most of non-standard entities show correclty their descriptive labels (at least in the 3D view):

Otherwise, I am really liking what I see, and my first impression of a quick and intuitive interface seems confirmed. A great contribution to the Quake community, SleepwalkR.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
SleepwalkR

Post by SleepwalkR »

Thanks for the warm words!

I think what you're seeing is a bug in the code that converts vector fonts to meshes. Unfortunately I made the decision to use meshes for string rendering, which is slow, ugly and error prone. I plan to rip this out and replace it with texture fonts. I had initially discarded texture fonts because I was unable to get them to render without blurring, but I know now how to fix that. I can't say when I'll be done with that, though. Maybe I'll squeeze it into 1.2, so it should be done sometime in April.
SleepwalkR

TrenchBroom 1.0.4

Post by SleepwalkR »

Changes
- Improved Quake.fgd and Quoth2.fgd (thanks negke!).
- Improvements to clipboard pasting.
- Fixed a crash bug when loading maps with invalid brushes.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

SleepwalkR wrote:
ceriux wrote:cool thanks. another question. will this editor also support other bsp formats ? it would be really cool if it could support as many as dp and fte support. if not its still a great editor. i love how it automatically clips things for you if its needed. no more invalid brush errors =).
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "other bsp formats". The editor isn't concerned with bsp at all. I suppose you mean "other map formats" such as Quake 2 and Quake 3?
quake 2, quake 3, half-life bsp. maybe other similar formatted types.
JasonX

Post by JasonX »

This is the best map editor i ever had the pleasure to work with. Amazing work, dude. Really.
SleepwalkR

Post by SleepwalkR »

Thank you!
andrewj

Post by andrewj »

There's some discussion on DoomWorld forums about your editor, here: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthread. ... id=1152391

I think it would be great if TrenchBroom could read the textures directly out of the PAK files of the game, especially for people not used to quake editing. I have written code to do this, e.g. my 'qsavetex' program which is GPL'd -- you can browse the source here: https://sourceforge.net/p/oblige/code/9 ... /qsavetex/ or find it in the oblige-428-source.zip download.