bsp models size question.

Discuss the construction of maps and the tools to create maps for 3D games.
ceriux

bsp models size question.

Post by ceriux »

when loading an external bsp (like the explode boxes) is there a size limit of the bsp? or does the size not matter at all. are there any limitations i have to be aware of? i use darkplaces.
taniwha

Re: bsp models size question.

Post by taniwha »

I haven't noticed anything in the renderer that makes a distinction between the world bsp and other bsp models for any limitations. While its usefulness is debatable*, there's no reason I know of you shouldn't be able to load a second map as a non-world bsp model.

* I can think of some, but that would require specially crafted maps to make it worth while.
Leave others their otherness.
http://quakeforge.net/
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

I already tested to load an entire level (E1M3) inside another map (a simple box large enough to fit the loaded map) as a bsp model (in FitzQuake IIRC). No complaints from the engine side. :P
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

nice, but how does collison work. like normal bsp? or is more like the models like the player? id like to load a couple of kind of large structures (damagable) as objectives. not as large as a whole map. will lighting still work properly with them?
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

ceriux wrote:nice, but how does collison work. like normal bsp? or is more like the models like the player? id like to load a couple of kind of large structures (damagable) as objectives. not as large as a whole map. will lighting still work properly with them?

collision: since you're using DP it should work OK even if you rotate the BSP (for example, giant cogs or a water mill).
No, alias models use a non-rotating box for collision, BSP models use the model hull for collision, so you're OK for example with destructible stairs or ramps or whatever you come up.
lightining: it's fixed, unafected by world at all (exactly like an ammo box or a health kit works in Quake), so unless you carefully light both the BSP models and the world they'll look ugly. There are a couple engines out there that may support dynamic lights on BSP models, if memory serves me well DirectQ (and consequently RMQe) have this. Dunno if DP does this.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

frag.machine wrote:u rotate the BSP (for example, giant cogs or a water mill).
or a drivable boat
i should not be here
Spike

Post by Spike »

you need to use movetype_push to push/carry other ents. this requires using velocity/avelocity to do the actual moving. which kinda sucks.