Mapping limitations in Darkplaces?

Discuss the construction of maps and the tools to create maps for 3D games.
Tiger Schwert

Mapping limitations in Darkplaces?

Post by Tiger Schwert »

Hi there. I'm looking at creating a "from-scratch" game using Darkplaces (CSQC being the main draw here, admittedly) and before I really start production I want to know if DP has mapping limitations I'm not aware of.

One immediate thing I notice is that full lighting mode seems to destroy performance in basically any big room. I don't really mind this too much, the lighting on projectiles etc is nice enough already. Another thing I noticed is that, when playing the absolutely sublime Honey (http://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/honey.html) in Darkplaces, saving seems to outright crash things most of the time.

Can anyone offer any insight as to why this is - does Darkplaces struggle with saving large maps for some reason, or is it more due to how the map is constructed that gives the engine trouble? Like I said, I really want to use Darkplaces and go with maps as big and grandiose as those seen in Honey - is there some limitation in Darkplaces that prevents me from doing this?

While I'm a fairly adept QuakeC programmer, I am new to Quake mapping (coming from a background in UT99 mapping and Doom mapping), so any limitations worth mentioning that a beginner should know would be great.

Thanks.
Spike

Re: Mapping limitations in Darkplaces?

Post by Spike »

the more surfaces visible to a light, the more processing it needs to render/cull them all.

most games with outdoory bits only render a single light. and from a single direction, so don't be surprised by that.
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

In the end, you won't know it before you try it.

I make very large levels and I had performance problems in DP (no saving related ones though), but it might be different for you.

DP sure is a fine engine, and might work fine for you though. Try it.
Tiger Schwert

Post by Tiger Schwert »

I did notice Darkplaces loading maps a bit slower, but framerate seemed fine on big maps. It's the saving bug which is particularly annoying me, and it doesn't seem to be specific to my machine.

Are Darkplaces and FTEQW the only two fleshed-out engines that implement CSQC?
Seven

Post by Seven »

Hello Tiger Schwert,

just like goldenboy mentioned, the saving issue is most probably not map-size related.
Honey brings its own SSQC-modification (progs.dat) which is more likely to be the root for it somehow.
But of course I may be wrong.
Anyhow, you should debug it to find out the real reason for the crash.
You can of course contact Lordhavoc or his friends to help you with that special saving issue
and its root cause.
Good luck with your game and keep us informed about it.
Seven