Secrets

Discuss the construction of maps and the tools to create maps for 3D games.
ajay

Secrets

Post by ajay »

Does anyone put easter eggs/secrets in their maps? Not just well-hidden ammo or a quad, but proper hidden areas or items and not essential to finish the map or the mod/game or even a serious addition. I only ask as so far my map has 1 in and 2 (1 of which is major) planned. Now it could be argued I shouldn't fart around with them when so much work is needed to just finish the essentials in the map, but to be honest its a fun distraction.
Whats your views on secrets, do frivolous ones distract from the gameplay, are they a luxury time (and often space) doesn't allow? Also, what's your favourite ones and should they be hard to reach? Recently the Quake 'room' in Rage was particularly good.
frag.machine

Re: Secrets

Post by frag.machine »

Well, it's kind of tradition to put something funny in easter eggs. In a very psychological mod like yours, dunno if it would break the immersion. Anyway, you can always slap the dopefish texture under a bridge or something in the same like for a laugh or two of those exploring the map.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
Spirit

Re: Secrets

Post by Spirit »

Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews