TrenchBroom - A Modern Quake Editor For Mac OS X

Discuss the construction of maps and the tools to create maps for 3D games.
SleepwalkR

Re: TrenchBroom - A Modern Quake Editor For Mac OS X

Post by SleepwalkR »

The groups feature in this editor is currently just standard func_groups with names. Visgroups (from Hammer I suppose) are different in that they allow you to add entities to them, too, which is currently not supported in TrenchBroom. The planned features are:

- allow entities to be added to groups as well
- lock groups to prevent changes
- nested groups to form hierarchies
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

No, I don't think is just a naming problem. If you group two objects, by selecting one of them theoretically you could translate both of them.
With layers you just associate some objects (that they could even not to be grouped together) to a specific layer.
An example:
I create a car in Blender.
I could create two groups: chassis and tires. Tires group will be parented to movement bones(steering,breaking,accelerating actions).
Chassis group don't. It will be parented to root bone because it inherit every movement.

Layers are another story. I could have dozens of layers: a layer named "glasses" where all the glasses are collected in, "Metal parts" with all the metal/engine parts and so on.

EDIT: sorry I posted the post AFTER yours but I didn't see it. At this time my post become pretty useless
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine
SleepwalkR

Post by SleepwalkR »

Haha, okay now I understand all the confusion. This is not what the groups in TrenchBroom are like. Grouped objects do not move together. I guess the term is already connotated with that meaning because many programs define it that way. Maybe layers is the better word then. I'll consider that.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

ah then leave it as groups, thats what worldcraft also calls them. you can "group" objects together, that way when you select one it selects both. when you group an object they're automatically grouped together but the grouping can be broken. visgroups are sort of a toggle thing you select a few objects/entities and it color cordinates (entities stay original color) them (via wireframe through 3d i would toggle a color overlay or something) that way if you wanted to do your map in sections with out your view getting too obstructed you could hide and show visgroups. sorry for the confusion.
gnounc

Post by gnounc »

I'd like to know if there will be hotkeys and if they will be rebindable.

I'd like to be able to use r for rotate, g for move, s for scale and x for delete like in blender.
pan and rotate with hotkeys and mouse as well.

if the hotkeys can be matched to blenders I would be very very happy.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

gnounc wrote:I'd like to know if there will be hotkeys and if they will be rebindable.

I'd like to be able to use r for rotate, g for move, s for scale and x for delete like in blender.
pan and rotate with hotkeys and mouse as well.

if the hotkeys can be matched to blenders I would be very very happy.
being able to customize hotkeys would be nice.
SleepwalkR

Post by SleepwalkR »

Customizable hotkeys is on my radar, but it's not a very high priority.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

i was looking at the screenshots again, i just noticed that when you have something selected it actually shows you the origin of that object. thats very cool, me being a modeler/mapper/kinda coder/scripter it gives me another tool i could possibly use when mapping and doing something special with entities.