BSP Quake Editor - source code?

Discuss the construction of maps and the tools to create maps for 3D games.
revelator

Re: BSP Quake Editor - source code?

Post by revelator »

might be what is crashing the editor also jeff :) ill make a new build without mss you can try.
im not 100% certain why it crashes on your pc, but maybe the immense load mss puts on it triggers a fault (damn mss log is more than 200 megabytes loading that map).
have you tried recompiling it yourself yet ?.
Productivity is a state of mind.
revelator

Post by revelator »

i sent you a version without mss ;) load time now 1 sec compared to 5 mins ouch.
uploading new version to my site also.
revelator

Post by revelator »

new version here. hopefully crash free and should load a lot faster than the previous version.
http://code.google.com/p/realm/download ... z&can=2&q=
the problem so far seems to have been that i forgot to remove the mss or memory supervision system library from the release builds, causing huge load times.
im not sure why it has that great an impact on it since tomazquake used it for years without much slowdown but then again bsp is written in C++ so there might be some differences, like new / delete vs malloc / free.
well the editor also makes heavy use of allocations compared to quake which mostly used static arrays so that might explain at least some of it.
qbism

Post by qbism »

reckless wrote:new version here. hopefully crash free and should load a lot faster than the previous version.
New version works like a champ! :D Map loads at least as fast MSVC compiled version.
revelator

Post by revelator »

great :) ok on to bussiness then if someone wants to update parts in it feel free to do so.
myself not being a mapper has a hard time finding out what to improve :mrgreen:
i noticed though that the code contained bits and pieces of disabled code for both lua and sql so that might be of interrest.
im not 100 on what a mapper would use sql for though ? unless they want to maintain a database of some kind.

i tried compiling it with the standard mingw distro last night and am sorry to say its not working at all (several hundreds of errors)
:S so for now you need the mingw64 compiler either from me (i have both 32 and 64 bit versions)
or from the official mingw64 site (also 32 and 64 bit but uses cross prefix on there compilers "x86_64-64-mingw32-gcc or i686-w64-mingw32-gcc instead of just gcc etc")
revelator

Post by revelator »

reenabled hexen2 support (fixed game.cfg) and added missing files. moved things around a little so it fits the structure in the other folders.
minor cleanup in texture loader, jpg still needs a review (uses the old jpeg6 code long since superseeded by jpeg 8 ).
png and zlib allready updated to latest.

not uploaded yet :) will be sometime tomorrow.
revelator

Post by revelator »

revelator

Post by revelator »

http://code.google.com/p/realm/download ... z&can=2&q=

new build 64 bit executables are now avaliable also but still in testing phase as they throw an exception on exit.
source include and codeblocks workspaces for the 64 bit builds.

if anyone still uses it and got some idea what might cause the exceptions at exit feel free to rectify whatever causes it, most of the 64 bit porting was allready done ;)
xaGe

Post by xaGe »

..Umm, no it doesn't..lol? I just downloaded bsp-test and ran it fine on Windows 8 64bit with no issues. Definitely doesn't throw any exceptions here on exit. Just wanted to let you know that. :D ..OH BTW reckless your an F'ing machine! :mrgreen: Your always working some code somewhere.

reckless wrote:http://code.google.com/p/realm/download ... z&can=2&q=

new build 64 bit executables are now avaliable also but still in testing phase as they throw an exception on exit.
revelator

Post by revelator »

Huh nice :) well it did here but may have been a glitch somewhere in my system.

Heh i got a lot of time on my hands (long time ill so im on prolonged sickleave) old noggin needs to be massaged to keep up at my age you forget Things faster than you learn them :mrgreen:
xaGe

Post by xaGe »

..Yeah! :D I'm right behind you in the age department. I'm not an expert, but I used BSP a few times 16 years(?) ago and a bit here & there since. So when I saw your recompile and the exit exception issue I wanted to see for myself. Always nice for hobbyists to have other viable options besides Radiant and WC for mapping.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

You'd think 16 years of using Worldcraft would make me an excellent mapper...

WRONG!!!
i should not be here
revelator

Post by revelator »

Heh even more years newer made me an excellent coder but in retrospect i couldnt code at all so its an improvement anyway ;) and you're an execellent modeller atleast :D

@ Xage just happy that my hobby finds it uses :)
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

Hexen 2 support? Pretty nice.

It might be too much of a hurdle to change my workflow from radiant to this, though, for a little hexen 2 mappage...

Can you add a Radiant-style two-pane layout with a large 3D viewport (WASD navigation) and a switchable 2D viewport?

I do feel the itch to make a Hexen 2 map. A very small one.
revelator

Post by revelator »

newer been good at gui's but ill see what i can do :) mostly did this to allow compiling the source with free utils and in that i succeded, 64 bit support was mostly an experiment to see if i could :).