True Rotation DP/TXQBSP

Discuss the construction of maps and the tools to create maps for 3D games.
goldenboy

Re: True Rotation DP/TXQBSP

Post by goldenboy »

You want the rotating brush to push the player through a solid object, if necessary?

Because what are the other options?

1. Stopping because it's blocked

2. Continuing despite being blocked - this means killing the player, pretty much, or moving through the player

Am I missing something? What is your desired behaviour?
Chip

Post by Chip »

1. Stopping because it's blocked

^ What about generating particles (sparks) at the brush rotation origin when it's blocked? Like a jammed device. Also a screach sound could be applied/generated.

:)

Ontopic now, one of the options should be selected.
QuakeWiki
getButterfly - WordPress Support Services
Roo Holidays

Fear not the dark, but what the dark hides.
ajay

Post by ajay »

'Proper' doors are firmly on my to do list. At the moment doors are either open or shut, which is hokey, but better than more unrealistic sliding doors. Reading this thread with interest, hoping to understand it more... ;)
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

ajay, you can download the rotating entities testmod from the RMQ devblog and run rotatetest.bsp.

It's also in the RMQ mapping guide.
ajay

Post by ajay »

Cool. do you know if they'd run in DirectQ too? Also, as I've no time to test it now, how do they work, player-wise - do they open when touch by the player, at a button press, or thru a player touched trigger?
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

They do everything a standard door does, really. By default, they open when a player touches them. They can also be triggered, or require a key, or be shot open.

I assume DirectQ can run them, since IIRC it supports RMQ.
ajay

Post by ajay »

Oh ok, that's excellent info - I've really got to use them, will improve the feel of the map no end. Cheers.
ajay

Post by ajay »

Got it working with no problems - thanks to everyone for their work on this. Aligning textures seems tricky though...
ajay

Post by ajay »

goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

Nice!

(It's too dark!) :wink:
ajay

Post by ajay »

;) yes, yes it is. Actually that area is barely lit at all, plus fraps always makes it look darker. Honest ;)
ajay

Post by ajay »

Is there a reason why textures get misaligned; I texture it properly, tie to entity, compile and it's off centre?
metlslime

Post by metlslime »

ajay wrote:Is there a reason why textures get misaligned; I texture it properly, tie to entity, compile and it's off centre?
Move it to origin, texture it there, then move it back with texture lock disabled. Yet another issue with rotation that nobody has fixed :)
Baker

Post by Baker »

metlslime wrote:
ajay wrote:Is there a reason why textures get misaligned; I texture it properly, tie to entity, compile and it's off centre?
Move it to origin, texture it there, then move it back with texture lock disabled. Yet another issue with rotation that nobody has fixed :)
Thanks for this true informational gem.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
ajay

Post by ajay »

metlslime wrote:
Thanks for this... But what do you mean by origin in this case? Most of the doors I'm making start closed, pivoting around a point and finishing at 90 degrees to their starting point. Would at origin therefore mean at the open position, at the height of the info.null it pivots around?