equakeutils

Discuss the construction of maps and the tools to create maps for 3D games.
goldenboy

equakeutils

Post by goldenboy »

Managed to extract the Stuffit archive of equakeutils, which contains tools source modified by Frank Condello (ExtrasR4) to support hint/skip/detail brushes and func_water, as well as some stuff apparently from Open Quartz.

Repacked it into a zip file and upped here

http://www.quaketastic.com/upload/files ... eutils.zip

I imagine people like leileilol might already have this, and it might not be terribly useful to anyone, but now we have a zip file of it.
andrewj

Re: equakeutils

Post by andrewj »

I grabbed it, cheers.

Btw what is a "skip" brush?
Ghost_Fang

Post by Ghost_Fang »

If i'm not mistaken, the bsp tool wont make/render/create any face(s) with that texture.
Allowing more optimized maps, for example you're on the street level of a city, you won't ever see the tops of the buildings, so you can put that skip texture on the top of the buildings so there wouldnt be any faces there.
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

Skip textured surfaces will be culled by the map compiler (or an external Skip tool).

They can be used if you have entity water, to remove the sides. They're also useful in connection with "fence textures" and various mapping tricks such as a method for fake windows, IIRC.
qbism

Post by qbism »

Sweet, now I don't have to install stuffit trial/adware to check out this code.
taniwha

Post by taniwha »

I'll check it out, but I believe most of that stuff is in qf's bsp/vis/light.
Leave others their otherness.
http://quakeforge.net/
qbism

Post by qbism »

taniwha wrote:I'll check it out, but I believe most of that stuff is in qf's bsp/vis/light.
Thanks, I'll take a look. eqbsp has func_water support, basically one or two lines of code I think. I'm planning to try adding cheesy stuff like "*force" (transparent, turbulent, solid) and "*glass" (transparent, non-turbulent, solid).
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

func_water is pretty nice, but the extrasr4 version breaks in FTE and DP. Spike recently checked some code into the RMQ SVN to fix this.

Same for func_ladder from extras.
metlslime

Post by metlslime »

I'm curious how "detail" is supported in a meaningful way in Q1 BSP
qbism

Post by qbism »

I don't think qfbsp has func_water. It's more changes than I thought, but manageable. Detail brushes can be 'empty' or 'solid'. These are pox's notes in the source.

Code: Select all

Search "pox" (40 hits in 8 files)
  eqbsp\brush.c (6 hits)
	Line 46: // pOx - seems many comilers simply ignore this...
	Line 63: 		// pOx - from treeQBSP - changed to warning
	Line 552: #define	MAX_HULL_POINTS	256//32 pOx
	Line 553: #define	MAX_HULL_EDGES	512//64 pOx
	Line 855: 	   	else if (mb->detail & DETAIL_EMPTY)// pOx - detail brush additions
	Line 898: 			/* pOx - HACK - get rid of this face (in csg)
 eqbsp\csg4.c (5 hits)
	Line 330: 		{// pOx - HACK - ignore the rest
	Line 377: 		// pOx - HACK - ignore
	Line 399: extern qboolean func_water;// pOx - mirror insides for func_water entities
	Line 442: 	   			// pOx - NOSPLIT IS EVIL! Only use them if you know what you're doing...
	Line 478: 	   		if (b1->contents != CONTENTS_SOLID || func_water)// pOx - mirror insides for func_water entities
  eqbsp\map.c (8 hits)
	Line 65: 	   	 || strstr (miptex[t->miptex], "ignore")// pOx - don't light ignore textures
	Line 112: /* pOx - NOTES:
	Line 393:                b->detail = DETAIL_SOLID;// pOx - use am_detail for more options
	Line 395: 			/* pOx - by request: ignore extra stuff we don't need (GTK support)
	Line 562:                b->detail = DETAIL_SOLID;// pOx - use am_detail for more options
	Line 564: 			/* pOx - by request: ignore extra stuff we don't need (GTK support)
	Line 716: 		// pOx - added multiple detail brush styles
	Line 747:      	// pOx (!) - clear out the current entity or it'll just get parsed over and over and over...
 eqbsp\nodraw.c (1 hits)
	Line 4: // pOx - added arguments to functions to shut up compilier warnings
 eqbsp\portals.c (3 hits)
	Line 319: 			if (allverbose)// pOx - obj2map/raw2map terrains produce a lot of these errors (harmless)
	Line 565: 		// pOx - watervis
	Line 674: 			// pOx - watervis
eqbsp\qbsp.c (11 hits)
	Line 3: // pOx
	Line 23: // pOx - additions
	Line 33: // pOx - Multi-WAD support (modeified from QBSP 256)
	Line 48: qboolean	func_water;// pOx - mirror insides for func_water entities
	Line 581: 		// pOx - mirror insides for func_water (put func_water *anywhere* in the name)
	Line 1003: 	argc = ccommand(&argv);// pOx - get the command line
	Line 1009:           "ported to MacOS by Frank Condello <pox@planetquake.com>\n"
	Line 1025: 	// pOx - default to BSP29
	Line 1050: 		else if (!strcmp (argv[i],"-nogfx")) // pOx - eQuake BSP01 - no internal texture mips
	Line 1073: 	//SetQdirFromPath (argv[i]); // pOx - Just put everything in the same dir.
	Line 1075: 	// pOx - multiple WAD support
eqbsp\tjunc.c (1 hits)
	Line 117: 	// pOx - changed to warning (as per Quartz tools change on sourceforge)	
eqbsp\writebsp.c (5 hits)
	Line 4: // pOx - Multi-WAD
	Line 428: 			// pOx - only include texture headers if -nogfx is used
	Line 461: // pOx - Multiple wad support
	Line 539: // pOx - Multiple wad support (pulled a boner in r1 - this is a re-write)
	Line 585: 			if (!len || (strstr (miptex[i], "ignore"))) {// pOx - MAJOR HACK - ignore is no good for Software Quake
taniwha

Post by taniwha »

metlslime: via tricks with the portals written by the bsp compiler, which means the vis tool has to support them, too. They don't make much, if any, difference to the engine, but they can make a big difference to the vis tool.

qbism: I suspect you're right about func_water and qfbsp. It's the main thing that made me say "most" :) I'm pretty certain I got all the openquartz changes.

I haven't had time to check yet as I'm currently doing a forklift course... in Japanese :P
Leave others their otherness.
http://quakeforge.net/
qbism

Post by qbism »

Ahh, vis tool support...
taniwha wrote:I haven't had time to check yet as I'm currently doing a forklift course... in Japanese :P
Safety first!
ajay

Post by ajay »

Does func_water still emit light like regular water?
qbism

Post by qbism »

func_water doesn't block light when compiling the map if that's what you mean.
negke

Post by negke »

ajay wrote:Does func_water still emit light like regular water?
The engine always displays the liquid textures as fullbright, regardless of where they are used.