Decals

Discuss the construction of maps and the tools to create maps for 3D games.
Blackstar1000

Decals

Post by Blackstar1000 »

Hey guys, I used to be a Half-Life2 mapper which is the reason I use worldcraft as my preferred program.

Worldcraft obviously doesn't have a function to place decals as Hammer does. I currently use Darkplaces, is there anyway to add some sort of decal functionality? This is to essentially place and rotate translucent textures over the textures
that exist on a brush. So as to detail my maps better.
Knives out. Catch the mouse. Squash his head. Put him in your mouth.
Blackstar1000

Re: Decals

Post by Blackstar1000 »

Okay, so maybe I'm asking incorrectly... The decal button exists in worldcraft. I have patched mine with the quake patcher for worldcraft.

Is there anyway to add decals to the repository inside worldcraft to make my own custom decals placeable? Is there anyway make this functional in worldcraft for use in the Darkplaces engine?
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

there isnt really. since your using darkplaces though, you could just put a brush over the one your trying to decal and have a tga with transparency to simulate it?
Blackstar1000

Post by Blackstar1000 »

Yes, this is the same thing I have been doing actually. The only problem is that even when using some tricks the renderer will sometimes not render brushes that are obstructed by even a transparent brush... So a picket fence will block the renderer from rendering what is behind it.

Can I tie the brush to some kind of entity that would allow the rendering to take place even if the decal (on another brush) is obstructing it?
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Blackstar1000 wrote:Yes, this is the same thing I have been doing actually. The only problem is that even when using some tricks the renderer will sometimes not render brushes that are obstructed by even a transparent brush... So a picket fence will block the renderer from rendering what is behind it.

Can I tie the brush to some kind of entity that would allow the rendering to take place even if the decal (on another brush) is obstructing it?

If you're targeting DP or any engine supporting alpha blended entities, use a func_wall to place your transparent brush. Then, set an "alpha" attribute to this entity with the desired value. You can simulate glass this way, and anything behind stills rendered. But remember, every func_wall occupies an entity slot, so be economic on that :).
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
Blackstar1000

Post by Blackstar1000 »

//EDIT

I figured it out, thanks for pointing me correctly to where I needed to go. ;)
andrewj

Post by andrewj »

frag.machine wrote:But remember, every func_wall occupies an entity slot, so be economic on that :).
It occupies a mapmodel slot too, which is worse as there are a lot less of them (1/4 of the entity slots, only 256 in vanilla quake, 1024 in DP).
mh

Post by mh »

If you don't care about entities or the player clipping against them you can makestatic them. Or alternatively stick a clip brush inside them in the world and makestatic the entity (this can also be used for a hacky replacement for detail brushes in Q1 - use simple geometry for your clip brush and makestatic the complex stuff). You will need raised static entity and efrags limits though, but they're so easy to do that there's no reason not to.
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for