PSPORTAL MAPPING COMPETITON :)

Discuss the construction of maps and the tools to create maps for 3D games.
WeeGee9000

PSPORTAL MAPPING COMPETITON :)

Post by WeeGee9000 »

Allright guys, let me introduce myself, im weegee9000 as you can see :P, and i am working on a quake psp mod people are asking for a long time, PSPORTAL (aka portal for psp :P )
that is it! I am the mapper! Now lets get up to the task:

Some test chambers in the original portal would not work on quake engine, so i would need to replace them with new ones! however, our development team is without any kinds of ideas for test chambers, so here are the rules:

WE WILL MAKE 3 MAPS TO ADD TO PSPORTAL
-You may add the max of 2 ideas for each map, and each of them must follow the rules for each test chamber
-I am not asking you to make the maps, i am asking you to give ideas, sketches, drawings, things like that
-The winners of this competition will see the map they suggested in the release of PSPortal :D
- MUST= Obligatory CAN=Not obligatory
-Winners will be announced at january 25
-Your submission MUST be PM'ed to me, so there is no risk of people being able to stole your idea :)
-Here is my moddb account :P http://www.moddb.com/members/weegee9000

------------------Test Chamber 2------------------
-Must not contain threats to the player, as such threats were not yet introduced to the player (energy pellets, goo, turrets)
-Must be an idea where you can use you portal gun, so no jumping platforms or anything like that
-Must Not be hard, because its still the third test chamber :P (third because we have test number 0! :) )
-Must not include those lifts yet, they were not introduced ny the player :P
-Can include buttons and cubes
-Must not include any kind of situation involving momentum, it was not yet introduced by the player
*NOTE* in the original portal, you pick up the portal gun in this test chamber, however you already start with a fully upgradable portal gun, so yeah, follow this note please

------------------Test Chamber 3------------------
-Must not contain threats to the player, as such threats were not yet introduced (energy pellets, goo, turrets)
-Must be an idea where you can use you portal gun, so no jumping platforms or anything like that
-Cant be that hard, because its still the fourth test chamber
-Must not include lifts yet, they were not introduced
-Must not include buttons and cubes, because too many levels with cubes and buttons can become boring :\
-Must not include any kind of situation involving momentum, it was not yet introduced by the player

------------------Test Chamber 11------------------
-Must contain threat to the player: Goo and Energy Pellet
-Can't be hard, but now challenges are allowed ;)
-Must Include Lifts
-Must not include buttons
-Can not include any kind of situation involving momentum, it was not yet introduced by the player
*NOTE* This is the test chamber where you was supposed to upgrade your portal gun, but you start with a fully upgraded portal gun, so a brand new test chamber is needed! :D

Hold On guys its not over yet! If you didn't win don't get sad! Soon we will need more ideas! Thank you guys!
gnounc

Re: PSPORTAL MAPPING COMPETITON :)

Post by gnounc »

If I read that right, you're planning on recreating verbatim the original portal maps?
That sounds like an awfully bad idea in a crowd of bad ideas.
WeeGee9000

Post by WeeGee9000 »

Some maps just would not work on quake engine, so i am asking for ideas! the best ideas are going to be on psportal, simple as that! :P

if you think that this is a bad idea, in a place with people that has bad ideas:
1-- This was the only way i can get ideas without having those character limits...
2-- Why would i believe in something like "people here got bad ideas"??? man you got to be kidding me! Even if you are right, i want the ideas anyway, then i will see if i can mix up things, and make the bad ideas a good idea...

So i hope you are here to give me an idea, and not to be like the ******* that are all over the world, that keep bothering me, when i think of something to solve problems releated to my projects, that died long ago, because people like you made me give up!!!
Forgive me if this is not your real intention though :P
gnounc

Post by gnounc »

hmm, yes I see you are right.
Crowd of bad ideas was not quite the phrase I was looking for.
qbism

Post by qbism »

Does the Quake portal mod on moddb work on PSP?
WeeGee9000

Post by WeeGee9000 »

Yep,that is what me and the development team are doing. (lol bad english) We have his permission, and not only we are using his mod, but we are also making turrets, these kinds of entities
Max_Salivan

Post by Max_Salivan »

qbism wrote:Does the Quake portal mod on moddb work on PSP?
hey,qbism, this mod only for PSP)
Sorry for my english :)
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

woo go unauthorized ip exploitation for solicitation

i'm also highly doubting the portals will ever work
i should not be here
WeeGee9000

Post by WeeGee9000 »

leileilol wrote:woo go unauthorized ip exploitation for solicitation

i'm also highly doubting the portals will ever work
Here is a video(the psp version) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdhBwj7WGLw
now stop beign such and ********
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Hehe, cool. You should implement damage proportional to player speed, it would be funny to see people splattering in a shower of gibs at high velocities. :D
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
WeeGee9000

Post by WeeGee9000 »

frag.machine wrote:Hehe, cool. You should implement damage proportional to player speed, it would be funny to see people splattering in a shower of gibs at high velocities. :D
This is portal, remember? no impact damage
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

WeeGee9000 wrote:
frag.machine wrote:Hehe, cool. You should implement damage proportional to player speed, it would be funny to see people splattering in a shower of gibs at high velocities. :D
Ah, too bad you're just trying to make a clone and not trying new ideas. Well, good luck anyway.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
WeeGee9000

Post by WeeGee9000 »

frag.machine wrote:
WeeGee9000 wrote:
Ah, too bad you're just trying to make a clone and not trying new ideas. Well, good luck anyway.
portal was never meant to be gory, its a puzzle game :P Not Dead Space 2
mankrip

Post by mankrip »

Being a puzzle game doesn't preclude it from featuring danger, as Portal does have killing environments (and enemies).

What turns it into a puzzle game is how the player overcomes its obstacles, not how the player can get beaten by them.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
WeeGee9000

Post by WeeGee9000 »

mankrip wrote:Being a puzzle game doesn't preclude it from featuring danger, as Portal does have killing environments (and enemies).

What turns it into a puzzle game is how the player overcomes its obstacles, not how the player can get beaten by them.
yup, i know, but portal never had impact damage :wink: