hoW do you imagine to make this (part 2)

Discuss the construction of maps and the tools to create maps for 3D games.
Nahuel

hoW do you imagine to make this (part 2)

Post by Nahuel »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhRabQfxfC0
it´s a very nice fog, can do achieve something similar in darkplaces? how do you imagine to make "advanced fog" (like this) in darkplaces?
hi, I am nahuel, I love quake and qc.
leileilol

Re: hoW do you imagine to make this (part 2)

Post by leileilol »

Pfft, that's not advanced fog. That's just a bunch of spinning cylinders.

You can achieve similar in darkplaces by making a mesh that's a bunch of cylinders, throw a shader on it, make it scroll, blend additive, cull disable.
i should not be here
hogsy

Post by hogsy »

Looked like just a bunch of sprites to me :lol:
Qrv

Post by Qrv »

Out of interest Nahuel, could you not do the fog as an effectinfo effect, and use an entity in a map to spawn fog particles every 2 secs or something?
The only downside to this I see, is if you needed the fog 100% on every client, because you could turn particles off and never see the fog.

If every client DOES need to see the fog, regardless of particle settings, why not looking into LordHavoc's gizmo, I believe he calls it "lhfire".

Last I looked, it makes spr32 sprites, animated if needed. These 32bit sprites can use alpha, and can then be spawned in-game to create a fog effect that all players should be forced into seeing, far as I know.

The spr32 sprites can be loaded up in QC same as any other quake sprite, so adding the QC for em shouldn't be a problem.

Personally tho, if seeing the fog doesnt need to be forced for every client, I'd opt for an effectinfo method, as I can see alot more freedom to using it than spr32's.
I'm looking for a Mapper, Modeller/Animator and a Sound effect/Music person, to work on an exciting project. PM Me here, or catch me on IRC for further info.