dp textures

Discuss the construction of maps and the tools to create maps for 3D games.
ajay

dp textures

Post by ajay »

I'm planning on making a (predominately) darkplaces only mod, and want to use those fancy-mdoern-day-what-all-the-cool-kids-are-using type textures, like bump and gloss and their mate norm. I have some questions, each one more uninformed than the last, and each one revealing more of exactly how little I know.

First question:
Am I right in thinking that the textures need to be arranged thus:
modname/textures/
and named:
/texturename.tga
/texturename_gloss.tga
/texturename_bump.tga
/texturename_norm.tga
?

Second question:
So for a gloss map texture I'd need both:
/texturename.tga
/texturename_gloss.tga
?

Third question:
To use this texture when mapping, would I also need a "normal-quake" version to use within the editor (Worldcraft), that would be overridden by darkplaces
?

Fourth question:
Where is there a good respository for such textures, specifically city, building type ones
?

Thanks, cheers and all the best to anyone at QEXPO

ajay
LordHavoc

Re: dp textures

Post by LordHavoc »

ajay wrote:I'm planning on making a (predominately) darkplaces only mod, and want to use those fancy-mdoern-day-what-all-the-cool-kids-are-using type textures, like bump and gloss and their mate norm. I have some questions, each one more uninformed than the last, and each one revealing more of exactly how little I know.

First question:
Am I right in thinking that the textures need to be arranged thus:
modname/textures/
and named:
/texturename.tga
/texturename_gloss.tga
/texturename_bump.tga
/texturename_norm.tga
?

Second question:
So for a gloss map texture I'd need both:
/texturename.tga
/texturename_gloss.tga
?
Yes, for map textures.

Please read DP_GFX_EXTERNALTEXTURES in the dpextensions.qc file, it's a very technical piece of documentation but it explains the naming of things.
ajay wrote: Third question:
To use this texture when mapping, would I also need a "normal-quake" version to use within the editor (Worldcraft), that would be overridden by darkplaces
?
Yes Quake editors need a wad archive containing textures to use in the map, and these textures are compiled into the resulting .bsp file, the engine looks at their size for how big to make them in the game world, and then checks if any external images should replace their image portion (but their size remains in effect for how big the 'tiles' are).

Quake3 map editing environments (such as GTKRadiant 1.5 with the DarkPlacesPack) prefer them in the original tga format in a subdirectory of textures, such as quake/modname/textures/ajay/bluebrick.tga
ajay wrote:Fourth question:
Where is there a good respository for such textures, specifically city, building type ones
?

Thanks, cheers and all the best to anyone at QEXPO

ajay
People have been wondering about good repositories for textures for a long time I'm afraid :P

Grab anything you like from Nexuiz (it's all GPL, even the art).
Baker

Post by Baker »

Spirit has very good textures archive:

http://wads.quaddicted.com/

It's not 24 bit, the textures are the 8-bit Quake palette type
spamalam

Post by spamalam »

an aside... worldcraft has a 5 wad pack limit right? Any tools for combining packs into a big wad file?

edit: scratch that, found mergewad after some time googling:
http://www.3ddownloads.com/gamedesign/f ... 0E42B77C87
edit 2: even better -
http://www.telefragged.com/wally/downloads.shtml
HeadThump

Post by HeadThump »

There you go, Wally is a much better solution fo that sort of thing.