What do you map with?

Discuss the construction of maps and the tools to create maps for 3D games.

What do you map with?

BSP
5%
Worldcraft / Hammer
47%
QERadiant / GTKRadiant
16%
QuArK
16%
Deathmatch Maker
No votes
Thred / Qoole / QuMa / Quest / Stoneless / Other
8%
I don't map
8%

Total votes: 38

than

Post by than »

I still use Worldcraft 1.6a (registered) for Quake 1 mapping, because it is by far the best editor I've used for dealing with entities, multiple selections, texturing, and has the best camera controls (and ability to set up and save multiple cameras around the level) as well as visgroups, which allow you to hide things you don't want (bit of a pain to manage, but they work very well).

Radiant is the only other editor that I would consider, but some maps coming from Quark users are pretty impressive (gibbie's maps for instance).
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

Ive tired WorldCraft a couple of different times... and each time I feel like Im playing a game of Operation, trying to fit a tool through small little slots to get a job done.

I have GTKRadiant installed... I also have the entire manual printed out and hole punched into a nice neat little notebook... Need to just sit down and work on it.

I used to use Qoole (I bought it!) back in the day because it was so natural... I made a decently detailed series of rooms within my first hour in it, however every version has had some show stopping bug.

So Im going to take a stab at GTKRadiant (starting tonight perhaps?) and begin work on a map that Entar started and wants me to finish (one of his clever little techniques of getting me to make something perhaps?)
spamalam

Post by spamalam »

Is worldcraft 1.6a abandonware?

I was wondering, since this pretty much comes under the category of abandonware these days, where can you get a registered version of this application?

The url is dead for the program, and although i've managed to get a copy of the shareware, there doesn't seem to be a way to get hold of the registered version anymore.

The latest versions are all half-life 2 and at this stage i've got no desire to map anything for that.

Anyone know if you can get a registered version? I tried google but didn't come up with much.
than

Post by than »

I'll stick a regged version up at my site when I get the chance (before or by QExpo). I doubt Valve will mind, but perhaps it is worth sending them an email about this... perhaps they will allow it to be freely distributed since it is the 10th anniversary of Quake and all. Either that or they will send the feds round and lock me up for using illegal software that I can't even buy anymore (and I own enough of their games that include hammer anyway).

There is almost no difference between it and the shareware other than a couple of bugs are fixed, you can use find/replace (the biggest reason to use it), it has a prefab library (fairly useless) and the compile dialogue is improved (but still horribly shit, so just use a batch file instead). Oh, and the main axis are not highlighted on the 2d grids, which kinda sucks, but it's not a big deal. Other than those things, I can't think of any reason to use it over the old version.

Aside from the improved 3d view, the newer versions (Hammer) have near perfect texture lock on moves and rotations, which is the other big reason to use them, although I obviously don't think that it is important enough to switch away from native Quake support.
Don Kael

Post by Don Kael »

Worldcraft, when I did map that is.
Tei

Re: What do you map with?

Post by Tei »

QuArK on Windows. On Linux I have not mapperd yet, I may try gtkradiant..
frag.machine

Re: What do you map with?

Post by frag.machine »

Quark 4.07. No complaints, although I don't map too much.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
McKilled

Post by McKilled »

i use quark..

and i have once bought deathmatch maker :D and it stinks!

i believe there was an easter egg on the cd though (a quake movie)
________
Tavera
Last edited by McKilled on Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
neg!ke

Post by neg!ke »

quest! nuff said.
Urre

Post by Urre »

Who else voted BSP but me? Zany editor... Wish it natively supported more formats (you can do basicly any quake format maps if you're inventive). Hope whoever's currently working on it adds new formats (q3bspkthx)
I was once a Quake modder
dayfive

Post by dayfive »

On Linux I use gtkradiant from SVN for map creation and FrikaC's Fimg for creating custom texture .wad files.

On Mac I use Worldcraft 1.6a running on Windows 98 in Connectix Virtual PC. Fimg is also used for custom texturing.