How to make my own pak (or game)?

Discuss the construction of maps and the tools to create maps for 3D games.
daemonicky

How to make my own pak (or game)?

Post by daemonicky »

I need to make portable pak file. I would add custom textures, models and maps so Quake can run it. Pretty much make a game just like id's quake pak for quake engine.
How to make such pack? How tu run it?

Thanks. :)
Nahuel

Re: How to make my own pak (or game)?

Post by Nahuel »

hi, I am nahuel, I love quake and qc.
daemonicky

Post by daemonicky »

Nahuel Thanks :) .

For those interested. There is how you make your own game called yourgamename :
1. have folder yourgamename
2. create pak0.pak in this folder by pakexplorer
3. into pak0.pak put
gfx.wad
quake.rc
progs.dat
config.cfg
autoexec.cfg
dir gfx with lmp files, dir maps with your bsp maps, dir sounds with wav sound you use
4. close pakexplorer
5. run "quake.exe -game yourgamename"
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

pak isn't necessary
i should not be here
daemonicky

Post by daemonicky »

leileilol wrote:pak isn't necessary
Thanks :) . It works even without pak. One just needs to copy all those files directly into directory.
metlslime

Post by metlslime »

You should pak stuff up for a public release though... makes it easier for users.

If you have only a couple files total, it's not really necessary. But a huge mod with lots of files, it's a good idea.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

i should also mention that case sensitivity becomes an issue should you choose to use pak files, since the PAK file system is case sensitive. The standard case is lowercase, so before you PAK make sure you lowercase it all.
i should not be here
metlslime

Post by metlslime »

leileilol wrote:i should also mention that case sensitivity becomes an issue should you choose to use pak files, since the PAK file system is case sensitive. The standard case is lowercase, so before you PAK make sure you lowercase it all.
And the pak format only supports 8:3 filenames. So don't use any long names if you are going to put it in a pak file. (this bit me in the ass when i was trying to finish rubicon 2)
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

metlslime wrote:And the pak format only supports 8:3 filenames.
As far as I know the only limit was 56 chars for the entire filename including path of any file in the pak. If there actually is an 8:3 limit (is there?) it must be in the engine, not the pak format...?
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.
Spike

Post by Spike »

pak files support proper unix names, not just dos names. The fact that they're typically lower case is the clue here. It doesn't even recognise directories as anything other than a prefix on the file names.
If you're only getting 8.3 names, its the fault of your tools.
They're limited to 56 chars or so, but not in range of characters.
Baker

Post by Baker »

Pak doesn't only do 8:3 files names, it is just Pak Explorer with that crippling limitation.

Pakscape does longer file names just fine.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
metlslime

Post by metlslime »

Baker wrote:Pak doesn't only do 8:3 files names, it is just Pak Explorer with that crippling limitation.
Ah, good to know.
negke

Post by negke »

However if you use filenames longer than 8+3, there will be problems with the original quake.exe. 8)
Spike

Post by Spike »

negke wrote:However if you use filenames longer than 8+3, there will be problems with the original quake.exe. 8)
Not if they're inside a pak!
negke

Post by negke »

What a stupid engine!!!!1 :evil: