getting a HLWAD without texture conversion

Discuss the construction of maps and the tools to create maps for 3D games.
Mexicouger

getting a HLWAD without texture conversion

Post by Mexicouger »

Is this possible? I am using external textures, and I like to map visually, but Bakers HLWAD converter changes the colors of the texture to Quakes palette.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

use regular hammer first, then export .map and import it into the quake adapted worldcraft. you'll just have to make a copy of your .wad before it's converted to quake pal and use it in hammer.

im not 100% that it'll work, havnt tried it. but it should.
Mexicouger

Post by Mexicouger »

Seems a bit sketchy. I figured there would be an easier way to run a Quaked worldcraft without the need of HLWADS.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

basically the same thing... hammer is just renamed worldcraft.. better setup. like your vis groups wont be black against a black bg... so you'll see them. the only thing you'll use worldcraft for would be entitie placement (which you may just be able to use the worldcraft fgd not sure prolly not) and if not entities, it'll just be your compiling tool.

no matter what you do , if you use the quake adapter and quakes .bsp format. your going to be confined to 1 palette... so when you map all of your textures are going to be in the same palette. so , good luck.
Mexicouger

Post by Mexicouger »

ceriux wrote:basically the same thing... hammer is just renamed worldcraft.. better setup. like your vis groups wont be black against a black bg... so you'll see them. the only thing you'll use worldcraft for would be entitie placement (which you may just be able to use the worldcraft fgd not sure prolly not) and if not entities, it'll just be your compiling tool.

no matter what you do , if you use the quake adapter and quakes .bsp format. your going to be confined to 1 palette... so when you map all of your textures are going to be in the same palette. so , good luck.
Well I don't have a problem with that, because the game doesn't load the textures from the map, it loads them from external images. I just like visually seeing my map.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

right, so no matter what if you use worldcraft, with the quake adapter, your entire map that your mapping out while your mapping it will always have 1 pallet. if you cant figure out how to see the 3d view. go to the top left viewport and click the white text and change it to 3d - textured or something.

you request is becoming confusing , from your first post it seemed like you wanted to see your map as you were making like it would be ingame (using your external textures with each their own pallete) it's impossible unless you use hammer. the hammer version of worldcraft uses half-lifes wad format which each texture has it's own 256 bitmap palleted texture system.

when you import your .map or open your rmf, worldcraft will then load your quake version textures the only thing you may need to do then is add entities, and compile.

when you load your map ingame your external textures will be displayed over top of your quake palette textures then.

if you want a more simple answer , no. you cant.
Mexicouger

Post by Mexicouger »

I am sure I can. Texmex has a feature where I can import a palette for a texture, but it would be alot more work.
I can think of multiple ways on how to do this, I just wanted to know if there was a simpler way then My ways.

And my question isn't getting confusing, your perception of the question is.

This was my basic question. I want to view my map with textures that Aren't converted to Quake while I map. I know when I do compile, they will get converted anyways, but in-game, I have external textures so they would just replace the ones stored in the map.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

what ever dude, if your using the quake adapter you cant . my only other idea would be to put your wad in another folder and point it to that. either way your map wont load because your textures arnt in the right format. good luck.