func_train tutorial on Hammer

Discuss the construction of maps and the tools to create maps for 3D games.
JasonX

func_train tutorial on Hammer

Post by JasonX »

Do you guys know any func_train tutorial for Hammer and Quake 1?
Baker

Post by Baker »

This kind of sort of explains it:

http://www.quakewiki.net/archives/world ... html#jump5

You make turn a brush in a func_train entity and make some path_corner point entities.

There is this tutorial too:

http://www.bspquakeeditor.com/q1tutor/q_train.html
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
mh

Post by mh »

func_trains (for func_anything for that matter) should work the same in any editor - barring editor bugs, of course. Position your entities, set their properties, and away you go.

If you still want something specific to Hammer, but you can't find anything using Hammer, look for WorldCraft tutorials too. WorldCraft is what Hammer used to be called before Valve went all Half-Life on it's ass and it should be quite similar.

This link contains a few likely candidates. As does this one. ;)
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
JasonX

Post by JasonX »

Can i move things other than platforms? Such as huge blocks, etc? Also, for spikes on the floor that hurt the player, would func_train be the option?
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

JasonX wrote:Can i move things other than platforms? Such as huge blocks, etc? Also, for spikes on the floor that hurt the player, would func_train be the option?
func_train is basically a BSP model/brush that travels along a predefined path. If you want to make spikes or traps, I'd suggest you to use func_doors instead, just setting dmg to something different of 2 (the default value).
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
metlslime

Post by metlslime »

a func_train can kill you too, i think. Might require some spawnflag settings to enable it.

But keep in mind, with either the door or the train, it will not hurt you except by squishing you against some other object ... a pointly-looking spike isn't itself going to hurt you on contact.
mh

Post by mh »

Unless you make it a trigger_hurt, of course. But yeah, just making a pointy spike on it's own is not enough.
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
metlslime

Post by metlslime »

mh wrote:Unless you make it a trigger_hurt, of course. But yeah, just making a pointy spike on it's own is not enough.
Right, i see now that JasonX just wanted non-moving floor spikes, so the answer to that is:

yes, just build the spikes out of brushes and then put a trigger_hurt around them. The spikes could be part of the world, or a func_wall if you want.
JasonX

Post by JasonX »

Can i define their radius or something, when using trigger_hurt?
metlslime

Post by metlslime »

JasonX wrote:Can i define their radius or something, when using trigger_hurt?
It's a brush model, so the brush determine the size, but it must be an axis-aligned box (if you try to make anything other shape, the code will generate an axis-aligned box anyway.)