FitzQuake - tga's - and transparency

Discuss the construction of maps and the tools to create maps for 3D games.
ceriux

FitzQuake - tga's - and transparency

Post by ceriux »

im sorta having troubles with the tga support on fitzquake and the transparencies. I made my texture, made sure it had an alpha layer, put it in textures/texname.tga , it loaded in my map. but the transparency is white! whats wrong? anyone help please?

example:

Baker

Post by Baker »

Get me screenshot of what it is supposed to look like and I'll think about adding it to the modified FitzQuake I made you.

Need:

1. Screenshot of what it is supposed to look like
2. Name of Quake engine you used for screenshot (FTEQW or whatever)
3. The map + textures needed to test against.

Those are brushes that are part of the map, right? Not some other type of thing that Quake doesn't normally support, right?
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

it's half-life bsp in the fitz plus engine you directed me to. and a tga with a alpha channel. ill upload the texture and the map.

tga_problem.zip

preview Image

here's the psd. http://www.megaupload.com/?d=C1NNHV6N

that tga might be a little off. if you open it up in an editor and it still has a white background. thats the wrong one.

PS: i think i may know why it's happening. i just opened up my tga and it has a white layer. still... i think somethings up with that ill see if i can fix it.

it seem's that tga's wont save with an alpha... it automatically fills in white.
Baker

Post by Baker »

I know you took that screenshot in the modified FitzQuake.

Actually, what I meant is load up the map in some other Quake engine where this feature is working like FTEQW or something and take a screenshot (and let me know what engine you took the screenshot in, like if you used FTEQW for the correct looking version screenshot).

But yeah, try to fix the texture first obviously.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
Arkage

Post by Arkage »

.tgas use a serprate alpha channel. In photoshop select all the areas you want transparent and then goto the channels tab and click add a new channel. You may need to invert the channel (I can nerver rembear if black is transparent or not :S ).
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

ahh okay, let me try that.

arkage, i did it your way and no go either. im going to download fte since darkplaces hlbsp is messed atm. and see if my map runs okay in that.

it does the same in fte... -.-
mh

Post by mh »

That feature doesn't work in FitzQuake. Try the RMQ engine which has support for it (prefix the texture name with a '{' to enable it).
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

does the rmq support hlbsp, full md3 support, csqc, and frikfile?

these seem to be the key features i need which the only netquake engine i know which supports all of these is darkplaces, but its hlbsp is broken atm.
Rikku2000

Post by Rikku2000 »

hmm maybe its work. Dont know but here is an tut for tga:

http://paulyg.f2s.com/prog8.htm

Image Image
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

says something about glut32 missing.

i was looking through the darkplaces website and it says that photoshop has issues saving the tga right, that gimp can do it. so im going to download gimp and see if it fixes the problem.
Feared

Post by Feared »

ceriux wrote:says something about glut32 missing.

i was looking through the darkplaces website and it says that photoshop has issues saving the tga right, that gimp can do it. so im going to download gimp and see if it fixes the problem.
It's not an issue WITH photoshop. It's an issue on how you're saving it. Most likely. I've saved transparent TGA's all the time from Photoshop. (including, cs, cs2, cs3, and cs5) How are you saving the tga out of photoshop? 24-bit, 32-bit?
For transparency you will want 32-bit without RLE compression.
Last edited by Feared on Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

can you type of the steps you use please?
Rikku2000

Post by Rikku2000 »

you can use PaintNet i use it for HL2 textures
mh

Post by mh »

ceriux wrote:does the rmq support hlbsp, full md3 support, csqc, and frikfile?

these seem to be the key features i need which the only netquake engine i know which supports all of these is darkplaces, but its hlbsp is broken atm.
No, no, no and yes.

Of the "no"s:
  • hlbsp isn't an essential feature for RMQ so it's unlikely to happen. We have talked about BSP formats and the thing is that hlbsp just doesn't solve the problems we're having (vertex limits and lack of detail brushes being the big two).
  • md3 support might be on the list; model formats are another topic of occasional discussion.
  • CSQC is likely to happen; it might not be full-blown CSQC but rather a subset for the specific requirements of the mod.
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

i mainly need csqc for hud support. , i need md3 and the tag attachements for character customization and visual equips, hlbsp for better textures and a map editor i excel at .