Having problems using clip

Discuss the construction of maps and the tools to create maps for 3D games.
UFIA

Having problems using clip

Post by UFIA »

I'm trying to make a ladder but I can't get clipping to work to my advantage. Can someone explain to me how to make a ladder using the clip texture?
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Please tell us what you tried, then it is easier to see what went wrong.
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
UFIA

Post by UFIA »

I just put the rungs sticking out of the wall and I put 4 or 5 rung-shaped brushes out a little farther and put the clip tex on it. I'm clueless as this is my first map. I also tried a solid brush up the side of the wall. Thanks for your help.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

vannilla quake does not support ladders or rotating doors. there is some qc which kind of changes that... im not sure if you need a more advanced engine though.
UFIA

Post by UFIA »

Oh then that's my problem then. I was just testing my map with glquake. I'll try it with something else, thanks.
mh

Post by mh »

You really shouldn't be using GLQuake for anything. If you want to use a vanilla Quake engine, you should be using one of the software Quakes instead. There are just so many problems with GLQuake, and a map produced for GLQuake, and that has only ever been tested in GLQuake, will likely look very different even in vanilla software Quake.
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
UFIA

Post by UFIA »

I tried loading it with ezquake but there's a lot of screen artifacts, so bad that I can't see anything. I know I have everything installed correctly...
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

An engine closer to original GLQuake but with lots of bugfixes and used a lot by the mappers at func_msgboard.com is FitzQuake.
Other fine option is, of course, mh's DirectQ.
Also, I highly recommend you to use Bengt Jardrup's ports of QBSP, VIS and LIGHT utils.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
mh

Post by mh »

I'd personally recommend FitzQuake over DirectQ for mapping work. Fitz has features specifically designed to assist mappers, whereas DirectQ tends to be aimed more at players (the only advantage it has over Fitz for mappers that I can think of is unlimited particle support - handy for pointfiles).
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
avirox

Post by avirox »

Hi UFIA, it's xavior...

Regular quake, as mentioned, does not support ladders as such. However, I assume you were looking to make one for megatf coop? If so, what you need to do is surround your "ladder" with a trigger called "func_lader".

Basically to do this (in worldcraft) you need to surround your ladder with a box using the block creation tool, making sure you have the "trigger" texture selected. After that, select your created block and click entity=>to world (which is somewhere on the right-hand side in my wc install) and call the classname "func_ladder".

I suggest you grab the latest mtf coop to test this using a local server. MVDSV XE can be downloaded here and the latest megatf coop can be downloaded here.
UFIA

Post by UFIA »

Thanks guys. Yeah, xavier, it's for coop :) Ill try Ftitz. Are there any ent addons specifically for coop?
UFIA

Post by UFIA »

Damn it I still can't get it to work. I dont understand what I'm doing wrong. I surrounded the ladder with a brush, with trigger tex, added func_ladder, and I still cant climb the thing. I am lost.
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

To answer the actual question, to make a ladder out of clip brushes...

1) Build the physical ladder out of brushes - rungs, whatever.

2) Make a stair out of brushes with the clip texture. This will give you an invisible stair. Make a flight of stairs the height of your ladder, each step 16 units higher than the preceding step.

3) Make the entire flight of clip-textured stairs narrower. Try perhaps reducing each stairs' thickness to 2 units (on a 2 unit grid). As a result, you should have a very flat flight of stairs that is still the height of your ladder, and all invisible because of the clip texture.

This tall, narrow set of invisible stairs is placed in front of the ladder. The player will think he is climbing the ladder, while he is really just running up a set of very narrow invisible stairs.

Cheap trick, works in vanilla Quake.

If you're mapping for a mod that has func_ladder or something like that, you just make a brush as high as the ladder, with the trigger texture, and turn that into a func_ladder or whatever it's called in your mod.

Edit: with this latter method, make sure the trigger brush is extending a little further than the actual ladder, so a player will always touch it while moving up the actual ladder.

With both methods, you have a physical ladder out of normal textured brushes, and then either the flight of clip textured stairs, or the trigger textured brush.

For the func_ladder, you only turn the trigger brush into a func_ladder. The physical ladder is not turned into a func_. For now at least.

Once you have the ladder working, you can turn the rungs into func_walls to save vis time.
UFIA

Post by UFIA »

I give up. I'll change it to stairs. Thanks guys.

On a side note, Xavier I got some forums up just for us coop guys at arsecancer.net so we can communicate directly with you, add skins for you to add to the server and whatnot. Sign up, be an admin.