Having problems using clip

Discuss the construction of maps and the tools to create maps for 3D games.
UFIA

Post by UFIA »

goldenboy, that's exactly how I had it, still no go.

Also where can I get qwprogs.dat, Xavier? It's not in /qw
UFIA

Post by UFIA »

Do I have to add a special ent file to Worldcraft to make it work? This is driving me crazy
UFIA

Post by UFIA »

Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Unless those textures are scaled up, there is not enough room for the player. ;)

I am not sure what dimension the player model's bounding box has, 32? It could work if you remove that stone part in the upper right of the image.
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

The setup looks correct. That should work if the trigger is turned into a func_ladder.

What Spirit said - the player's bounding box needs to fit through any gaps on the way. The player fits / falls through any holes bigger than 32x32, and horizontally a door must be taller than 56 units for the player to walk through.

-> Make sure there is enough room in the vicinity of the ladder for the player to move uninhibited.

Another thing. The ladder code I know (Quoth/ExtrasR4/RemakeQuake) requires that an "angle" key be set in the func_ladder. Maybe that is the same with this mod?

Select your func_ladder. Go to the entity window/inspector. Add a key "angle" with a value between 0 and 360.

The correct value is the direction the player must face to climb the ladder (Extras/RMQ) or the direction away from the ladder (Quoth). Try both of those.

"Angle" will be one of 90, 180, 270 or 360, if your ladder is facing in a cardinal direction (it looks like that).

Also, do other ladders work (ie other maps)?

Did you correctly do this: Select the trigger brush, then create a func_ladder (ie "turn the trigger brush into a func_ladder")?
UFIA

Post by UFIA »

Spirit wrote:Unless those textures are scaled up, there is not enough room for the player. ;)

I am not sure what dimension the player model's bounding box has, 32? It could work if you remove that stone part in the upper right of the image.
Tried it, no go.
UFIA

Post by UFIA »

goldenboy wrote:The setup looks correct. That should work if the trigger is turned into a func_ladder.

What Spirit said - the player's bounding box needs to fit through any gaps on the way. The player fits / falls through any holes bigger than 32x32, and horizontally a door must be taller than 56 units for the player to walk through.

-> Make sure there is enough room in the vicinity of the ladder for the player to move uninhibited.

Another thing. The ladder code I know (Quoth/ExtrasR4/RemakeQuake) requires that an "angle" key be set in the func_ladder. Maybe that is the same with this mod?

Select your func_ladder. Go to the entity window/inspector. Add a key "angle" with a value between 0 and 360.

The correct value is the direction the player must face to climb the ladder (Extras/RMQ) or the direction away from the ladder (Quoth). Try both of those.

"Angle" will be one of 90, 180, 270 or 360, if your ladder is facing in a cardinal direction (it looks like that).

Also, do other ladders work (ie other maps)?

Did you correctly do this: Select the trigger brush, then create a func_ladder (ie "turn the trigger brush into a func_ladder")?
No go.

http://www.arsecancer.net/dl/test.map
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

The .map file looks correct. You tried 90, 180, 270 and 360?

Which mod are you mapping for? Link?

Link to .def or .fgd file?
UFIA

Post by UFIA »

http://www.arsecancer.net/dl/quake-defs-by-czg.fgd

Right now its just a test map to figure all this shit out, but eventually its gonna be a TF coop map
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

http://www.quaketastic.com/upload/files ... ladder.zip

This ladder works for me in RemakeQuake. It's also the usual way to set them up (except the angle field is sometimes different). That doesn't mean it'll work in MegaTF Coop, though.

FGD: I need the fgd for MegaTF Coop then. The normal Quake fgd doesn't have a func_ladder in it, correct? I hope you're testing the map under MegaTF Coop?

Avirox, is this man's func_ladder setup correctly for TF?
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

I wonder if one could emulate a small ladder using a thin trigger_push along the ladder and angle = -1. I'll test it later.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

That might work. It'll make the windtunnel sound though, I guess.
UFIA

Post by UFIA »

frag.machine wrote:I wonder if one could emulate a small ladder using a thin trigger_push along the ladder and angle = -1. I'll test it later.
It works but not very well
UFIA

Post by UFIA »

goldenboy wrote:http://www.quaketastic.com/upload/files ... ladder.zip

This ladder works for me in RemakeQuake. It's also the usual way to set them up (except the angle field is sometimes different). That doesn't mean it'll work in MegaTF Coop, though.

FGD: I need the fgd for MegaTF Coop then. The normal Quake fgd doesn't have a func_ladder in it, correct? I hope you're testing the map under MegaTF Coop?

Avirox, is this man's func_ladder setup correctly for TF?
funcladder.map didnt work either. Im missing something...

Ok when I run it I get the following msgs in console

no spawn function for: classname: info_tfdetect

no spawn function for : classname info_player_teamspawn
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

Is the engine running the mod? Did you use -game whatever on the commandline?

Did you make a folder like Quake\MegaTF and put that qwprogs.dat Avirox gave you in there?

http://www.quaketastic.com/upload/files ... ladder.zip

That is a ladder made from clip brushes, btw.