Air ducts (like in HL1)

Discuss the construction of maps and the tools to create maps for 3D games.
JasonX

Air ducts (like in HL1)

Post by JasonX »

Do you guys remember those air ducts in HL1? I'm trying to do something similar in Quake, but i don't know the correct brush size for the jump + crouch to be successful. Any tips?
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Are you using an engine that supports the crouch size hull required ?
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
JasonX

Post by JasonX »

Pure WinQuake and Makaqu. How can i implement it?
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

In this case, I'm afraid you can't. At least, not exactly in the way used in HL1, because the player dimensions won't change when crouching.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
Biodude

Post by Biodude »

My friend coded in crouching in winquake, it worked perfectly, atleast I think it did. Now that I think of it, im not sure if it actually made the body crouch
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

One can always do as instructed in another thread and change the second hull to fit the intended player in crouch position size. But then, it's not vanilla Quake anymore.
JasonX

Post by JasonX »

Well, crouch is not needed... what is the jumpsize in Worldcraft units, so i can know where to put my ducts?
Baker

Post by Baker »

It is probably either 16, 24 or 32. My guess is 16.

Remember ... you can use clip brushes to make an invisible helper ladder. If you made it start 16 units off the ground, the player would still have to jump to access the duct, but he'd wouldn't need to be a kangaroo to get up to it.

A clip ladder works like this (the brush texture must be named clip):

The above would need to be constructed with 4 different clip brushes.

** <-- brush 1
*** < ----
*** brush 2 --->
**** <----
**** brush 3 --->
***** <---- brush 4
***** ---->
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

I'd suggest to use Pox's Extras and add a small func_ladder to the air duct entrance.
JasonX

Post by JasonX »

frag.machine wrote:I'd suggest to use Pox's Extras and add a small func_ladder to the air duct entrance.
You mean extras v4?
Chip

Post by Chip »

JasonX wrote:
frag.machine wrote:I'd suggest to use Pox's Extras and add a small func_ladder to the air duct entrance.
You mean extras v4?
Yes, that's what he means. There's a very good ladder code in there, as far as I remember.
QuakeWiki
getButterfly - WordPress Support Services
Roo Holidays

Fear not the dark, but what the dark hides.
Baker

Post by Baker »

It is very good ladder code and very easy to add to another mod. The mod itself is very compartmentalized and documented.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

The ladder code there is problematic in darkplaces. We have huge problems with the pox-based rmq ladders and DP. Try it.

Anyway, up-jump distance is 32 units, and if you have an air duct with 64x64 outer dimensions and 1 unit thick walls, ie 58x58 on the inside, it will give the impression of crouching without really crouching, if you know what I mean. Also works with crates.

Try Distrans' map Ruined Nation sometime, it has airducts that are really cramped without requiring actual crouching.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Just detect DP extensions, and if found, turn off the pox ladder code (which is a funny local gravity hack) and use dpmod's player movement code which also supports ladders iirc

YOU DONT HAVE TO NIX THE LADDERS!!

besides, pox ladders are no problem in winquake and makaqu
i should not be here