Generating Mip Maps

Discuss the construction of maps and the tools to create maps for 3D games.
JasonX

Generating Mip Maps

Post by JasonX »

I'm using Wally to create a WAD2 for my map with custom textures, but i'm having terrible results with most textures. The mip maps get wrong colors and some odd stains. Is there another way to create mip maps?

Maybe something "direct", like resizing the texture in Photoshop and saving with special name or something.
mh

Post by mh »

Try TexMex instead, you can open an existing WAD in it and remip textures even.
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
JasonX

Post by JasonX »

Same problems. =\
andrewj

Post by andrewj »

Post the worst texture here (the original, PNG format) and I'll try it here.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

The "stains" probably are full brights, correct ?

If it's the case, try using this. There are 2 files: quake.pal and quakenfb.pal. These are Quake palette files in PSP .PAL format, the second one without any fullbrights.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
metlslime

Post by metlslime »

If it's fullbrights, you can fix that with texmex by turning them off in the options menu. But you will have to cut and re-paste any existing textures to fix them.

If it's not fullbrights, but simply bad resampling, you can create the mipmap yourself in photoshop and directly paste the lower-level mips into texmex, if you want. E.g. if you paste a 16x16 clipboard image into a 64x64 texture, texmex will ask if you want to paste into the second mip level or resize the texture.
andrewj

Post by andrewj »

It could be the error diffusion, which works well when the original image is in the quake palette (or very close to it), but not so well when the image uses colors far away from the ones in the palette.

See if TexMex can disable that too.
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

I have the same problems in Wally. It is only really apparent when making "fence" textures, like hanging cables, chainlink, etc.

It also likes to do weird colour shifts. The automatical mipmapping is actually incredibly shitty.

Might have to try the manual method.

It would probably be good to make sure the "automatically re-mip textures" option (or whatever it's called) in Wally is turned off.