.map build process

Discuss the construction of maps and the tools to create maps for 3D games.
dreadlorde

Post by dreadlorde »

mh wrote:I predict that whichever OS wins the next round of the war will be the one that gets a really good multithread API first
<3 Tony Hoare's CSP.
Ken Thompson wrote:One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code.
Get off my lawn!
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

The biggest problem isn't poor hardware support or the current multi thread APIs. The real problem is in our inadequate way to think always in a single, sequential line to solve our programming problems.

Modern languages like C#, Java and Scala already have a lot of nice support to parallel processing. Heck, back in the 80's there were already a really cool and simple language called occam (as in Occam's Razor) that was inherently parallel (check Wikipedia for more info about, it's a fascinating read) to the point of requiring that you should explicitly identify any part of the code that were supposed to be executed in a sequential way. But we need to think radically different to resolve problems with parallelism, and this is hard. You need to discard a lot of experience and common wisdom to do good use of this. So basically, we are the cern of the problem.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
dreadlorde

Post by dreadlorde »

frag.machine wrote:Heck, back in the 80's there were already a really cool and simple language called occam (as in Occam's Razor) that was inherently parallel (check Wikipedia for more info about, it's a fascinating read)
It used CSP. :)
Ken Thompson wrote:One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code.
Get off my lawn!