Ambient Lighting

Discuss the construction of maps and the tools to create maps for 3D games.
Handshakes

Ambient Lighting

Post by Handshakes »

Quake supports this, right? I can't get it to work.

I go into Worldcraft and go Map > Map Properties > Ambient Light and change it to something high, but the map will still be pitch black when I run it. What gives?

I've had to resort to lighting my map with individual light entities, but it looks all uneven and assy because I'm not really good at mapping. I've heard of using something called "arghlight.exe" instead of "light.exe" for compiling, but copious googling has failed to get me more info on that/where to download it.

Any help would be appreciated!
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

I recommend to use Bengt Jardrup's port of QBSP, VIS and LIGHT:

http://user.tninet.se/~xir870k/

Read the documentation for command line arguments to set min and max light, sun light, etc.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
Handshakes

Post by Handshakes »

I am using that exact thing. Here is what my light.exe log says:
----- Light 1.43 ---- Modified by Bengt Jardrup

File: c:\program files\worldcraft\textures\tst.bsp
Using minlight value 600 from worldspawn
2 entities read, 0 are lights, 40 faces, 0.0M casts

Light: 0.0, Elapsed: 0:00
Light: 100.0, Elapsed: 0:00

lightdatasize: 7949

Elapsed time : 0:00
So the minlight shows that I have an ambient light value of 600, yet when I play the map everything is pitch black.

Is there anything there that is jumping out as wrong as hell? I think I'm going to try a clean install of Worldcraft. The lighting seemed to be working at least somewhat before it abruptly and irreparably turned to total poo.

UPDATE: The ambient lighting works with Fitzquake but not with Darkplaces. This makes me sad face in a lot of ways.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

If FitzQuake works, then looks like the map itself is lit correctly.
Just random thoughts: are you using colored lights ? Do you have any sky texture ?
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Turn off Darkplaces realtime world lighting, you need a different light setup for that.

600 is outside any limit, 300 is the maximum.
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews