Worldcraft Woes

Discuss the construction of maps and the tools to create maps for 3D games.
Handshakes

Worldcraft Woes

Post by Handshakes »

I'm about ready to tear my hair out on this one. Maybe you folks can set me straight.

I'm using Worldcraft to make the maps for my Quake mod. I downloaded and installed it from http://quakeone.com/qadapter/, and I ran through some beginner tutorials and everything was working great. Then, out of the blue, whenever I run my maps none of the lighting works. The player weapon lights up, but none of the geometry does. I don't know jack about Worldcraft or mapping in general, so I'm hoping that I just accidentally hit some "ruin everything" button in the options and screwed things up.

The weird thing is that I can load up maps that were working before and run them just fine, but if I tweak any of the geometry at all then when I run the maps the lighting will fail.
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

Two possible causes off the top of my head:

1. You accidentally unchecked / deleted the run light procedure in your compile details

2. You have leaks in your map, which cause both vis and light to not work.
metlslime

Post by metlslime »

light works with an unvised/leaky map.
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

metlslime wrote:light works with an unvised/leaky map.
It does?

* goes to check *

Hrm, indeed light DOES work, I always thought that it didn't when you had leaks.

Anyway, check to make sure you have your run light option checked in the run map dialog (make sure it's in advanced mode) of worldcraft 3.3. Also check to make sure when you compile the map that light is getting run properly in your compiling console.
mh

Post by mh »

Q2 light doesn't work when you have leaks, the reason being that it uses the PVS to accelerate the ligting process (no reason why Q1 light can't optionally do the same, by the way).
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
Baker

Post by Baker »

Read the logs! It stays on-screen in that compiler window and somewhere in there, it would say what's up.

You might consider copying and pasting the log here.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
Handshakes

Re: Worldcraft Woes

Post by Handshakes »

Thanks for the helps!

After much tinkering, and violent cursing, the problem is fixed. How? I have no idea. The lighting just started working again. The problem left just as mysteriously as it appeared.

All my rooms were made with the default stone wall looking texture, and as soon as I added a new brush with a different texture the lighting started working. I don't know if that is just a coincidence or what. Oh well.
Baker

Post by Baker »

Good job.

Shakes "Handshakes" hand ... wondering what the consequences of that could be :P Maybe that was his sinister goal all along ... maybe he steals "handshakes" for a living and no one bothered to tell me.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..