Music

Discuss the construction of maps and the tools to create maps for 3D games.
Tom-5-

Music

Post by Tom-5- »

Okay, so in this map that I am making, I would like there to be a room that the player can't reach and i want there to be music playing from within that room.

How can I get the music to play in darkplaces.... if that is possible. I know there is one way of playing over top of everything, but the point is to have it coming from this room. To get this to work in half-life all I needed to do was use ambient_generic. That same function doesn't work in darkplaces... I didn't want to make this a half-life mod.. Mostly because I don't want to relearn a bunch of half-life mumbo jumbo and it's not as modifiable ... i think.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

To make a room where nobody can enter (without cheating, at least): place a brush made with the "clip" texture blocking the entrance. To make a looping music: well, without some custom QuakeC it's a bit harder, but not impossible. You will need first to edit your .wav file (I use GoldWave, it's a great sound editor) and place a cue mark in the start of the sound, so Quake "knows" that this sound must be looped. Then, you can choose one of the existing ambient sound entities that you won't use in your map (let's say, ambient_thunder), rename your file to use its .wav file name (in this example, "thunder.wav") and place it in <yourmod>/sound/ambience.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
Biodude

Post by Biodude »

I have some qc for ya, it has like func_bgm

it works nice
Tom-5-

Post by Tom-5- »

frag.machine wrote:To make a room where nobody can enter (without cheating, at least): place a brush made with the "clip" texture blocking the entrance. To make a looping music: well, without some custom QuakeC it's a bit harder, but not impossible. You will need first to edit your .wav file (I use GoldWave, it's a great sound editor) and place a cue mark in the start of the sound, so Quake "knows" that this sound must be looped. Then, you can choose one of the existing ambient sound entities that you won't use in your map (let's say, ambient_thunder), rename your file to use its .wav file name (in this example, "thunder.wav") and place it in <yourmod>/sound/ambience.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H88lwfkKziI

This is my map in Half-life. It's nowhere near done yet but you can see the effect i want. If i replace my music with one of the other ambient effects it'll play equally as loud through each speaker and not change volume when i get farther away, Right? By the way, How would I go about placing a cue mark?

@biodude Thanks, I will give it a try. Just catch me on steam.
Tom-5-

Post by Tom-5- »

Oh... The ambient_thunder thing will probably work for me... i just thought about it. but, How would i add a 'cue' file to the beginning of my track? and also, is there a max file size, or time limit for my music?
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Tom-5- wrote:Oh... The ambient_thunder thing will probably work for me... i just thought about it. but, How would i add a 'cue' file to the beginning of my track? and also, is there a max file size, or time limit for my music?
Sorry for not answering before... As I said, you'll need a .wav editor (I suggest GoldWave, but there are other options) that support adding cue marks to a .wav file. Regarding the file size: well, this depends a lot of the target engine. For vanilla Quake I suggest keeping it small (< 500Kb), but in Darkplaces you may be able to use bigger files.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Darkplaces supports Ogg Vorbis so it would make sense to use it, especially for longer sounds. I have no idea how looping would be specified then though.
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
Tom-5-

Post by Tom-5- »

Thanks guys, I've got it all figured out now :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ibZXDjrAuU
Chip

Post by Chip »

Tom-5- wrote:Thanks guys, I've got it all figured out now :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ibZXDjrAuU
You could do something like an old radio, tuned on some post-apocalyptic frequency, with the last words of some guy, getting broadcast over and over and over, in a futile effort to bring back painful memories before the cataclysm. :shock:
QuakeWiki
getButterfly - WordPress Support Services
Roo Holidays

Fear not the dark, but what the dark hides.
Tom-5-

Post by Tom-5- »

That sounds kind of familiar...
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

And how did you solve it now?

Remember that others will ask the same questions you ask later, so always post the solution you used. Think of others.

A number of Quake mods have general ambient sound players, for example p0x' Extras, which you could use in your own progs.dat.

But reusing one of the existing ambient_* also works, sure. Your mod won't handle legacy Quake maps correctly if you do this sort of stuff though.
Tom-5-

Post by Tom-5- »

Oh, sorry, i just used Frag.Machine's suggested method of replacing the .wav file of ambient_* and using that entity in my mapping.