Holes!

Discuss the construction of maps and the tools to create maps for 3D games.
Mathuzzz

Holes!

Post by Mathuzzz »

Hi, is there any way I can get rid of invisible holes through which I fall in Quake? I made only the first rooms of my level and I get lots of warnings(healing points, new portal was clipped away in cutnodeportals) All I googled was that these errors aren´t critical, but when playing the map I have lots of holes and invisible obstacles there, making it unplayable.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

i'm pointing a file where the grey gets in, and stops my mind from wandering where it will goooooooooo

Are your brushes perfectly convex? Brushes become uncollidy illusions when they're too inclined of their angles. This could be easily accomplished carving artifacts or using the vertex editor in Worldcraft 1.6. I ran into one today while prototyping a pool with an exotic shape
i should not be here
mh

Post by mh »

Another thing - are your brushes grid-aligned or are you using weird floating point coords?
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

what about weird shaped brushes?
Mathuzzz

Post by Mathuzzz »

I have ship there and two small towers, which when I delete, problem is gone, but the brushes are convex, not that complex, forcing everything to grid destroyed a few holes, but they mostly remained. It is like I can´t make anything interesting there, because I get these immediately(I remember having the same problem with Hexen 2, never found out how to solve it).
Downsider

Post by Downsider »

When making complex brushes, to ensure you're keeping in form with the convex shape restrictions that Quake imposes, you could form the shape entirely out of wedges. It makes for easier terrain and stuff.
Mathuzzz

Post by Mathuzzz »

How do you keep everything on grid?
mh

Post by mh »

If you map editor has a "snap to grid" option, use it. If it doesn't, get a better map editor.
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for